Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> on 2012/07/30 22:29:06 UTC

Windows script to build an Apache Flex SDK for an IDE such as Adobe FlashBuilder or JetBrains IntelliJ

Hi all,

I know there has been a lot of confusion about how to get from the Apache Flex binary kit to be a Flex SDK that you can use with an IDE such as either Adobe FlashBuilder or JetBrains IntelliJ.

I just wrote a script for Windows called constructFlexForIDE.bat, that will pick the files it needs from an Adobe Flex 4.6 SDK and copy them into your Apache SDK.  The script is here [1].  Since all files are local it runs relatively quickly.

Usage: constructFlexForIDE "Apache Flex dir" ["Adobe Flex 4.6 dir"]

If your directory contains spaces it must be quoted properly.

You Apache Flex dir should be an unpackaged Apache Flex binary distribution, or an unpacked Apache Flex source distribution which you've built.

If you don't specify an Adobe Flex 4.6 directory, the script will look for Adobe FlashBuilder in the default installation location and use the Adobe Flex 4.6 SDK from there if it finds it.
  %ProgramFiles%/Adobe/Adobe Flash Builder 4.5/sdks/4.6.0 (where ProgramFiles is your system environment variable)
%ProgramFiles%/Adobe/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0
%ProgramFiles%/Adobe/Adobe Flash Builder 4.7/sdks/4.6.0

Read the comments at the top of the script for more information.

The Apache Flex binary distribution is available here [2].
The Adobe Flex 4.6 SDK is available here [3].

Feedback, (problems, comments, etc)  is welcome.

Carol

Links:
[1]  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/trunk/ide/constructFlexForIDE.bat
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/flex/download.html
[3] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/flex-sdk-download.html

Re: Windows script to build an Apache Flex SDK for an IDE such as Adobe FlashBuilder or JetBrains IntelliJ

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> tried to change to the design mode, I got the following message
> "The Design Mode is disabled as the project uses an incompatible
> version of the Flex SDK".
Not unexpected. Sadly design mode is being discontinued by Adobe and will not be a feature in the next version of Flash Builder and Flash Builder has not been donated to Apache. There was some talk that Adobe may donate design view as an eclipse  plugin but I've not heard anything more about that.

You might be able to fool Flash Builder that it is still using a 4.6 SDK to get design mode to show.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Windows script to build an Apache Flex SDK for an IDE such as Adobe FlashBuilder or JetBrains IntelliJ

Posted by Victor Hugo Garcia <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carol,

I just tested your script, it ran without problems. However, when I
added the sdk to the Flash Builder IDE, compiled an existing project,
and tried to change to the desing mode, I got the following message
"The Design Mode is disabled as the project uses an incompatible
version of the Flex SDK". Strangely enough the project runs and I was
able to export a realease build wich works just fine, it's just the
design mode I can't access.

Best Regards,

Victor