Posted to community@apache.org by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com> on 2002/12/05 15:18:37 UTC

"as well as the critical notion of imagined community"... :-)

Read this this morning, found it thought provoking...

"While there are many definitions of community, a review of the
sociology literature reveals at least three core components or markers
of community, as well as the critical notion of imagined community
(Anderson 1983).  The first and most important element of community is
what Gusfield (1978) refers to as consciousness of kind.  consciousness
of kind is the intrinsic connection that members feel toward one
another, and the collective sense of difference from others not in the
community.  Consciousness of kind is shared consciousness, a way of
thinking about things that is more than shared attitudes or perceived
similarity.  It is a shared knowing of belonging (Weber [1922] 1978).
The second indicator of community is the presence of shared rituals and
traditions.  Rituals and traditions perpetuate the community's shared
history, culture, and consciousness.  rituals 'serve to contain the
drift of meanings; ... [they] are conventions that set up visible
public definitions" "Douglas and Ishwerwood 1979, p65) and social
solidarity (Durkheim [1915] 1965).  Traditions are sets of "social
practices which seek to celebrate and inculcate certain behavioral
norms and values' (Marshal 1994, p. 537).  The third market of
community is a sense of moral responsibility, which is a felt sense of
duty or obligation to the community as a whole, and to its individual
members.  This sense of moral responsibility is what produces, in times
of threat to the community, collective action."

Re: "as well as the critical notion of imagined community"... :-)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com> writes:

[...]

> That paper references a lot of obviously hard won models of what
> community is, so now I'm going to have to go read a mess of stuff.

Definitely interesting reading.

> I find it's amazingly rare to find anything about community that isn't
> moronic, simplistic, or romantic.  Or worse argues that community is
> just another victim of modern life.  I think quite the contrary that
> the net is a typhoon of community building.

There was a great PBS special on Benjamin Franklin a few weeks ago.
While quoting Franklin may be "hitting below the belt" to an American,
his brilliant speech to rescue the signing of the US Constitution is
certainly worth a read.  Here's a url describing the particulars (the
actual speech is linked within the main text):

  http://www.pbs.org/benfranklin/l3_citizen_founding.html

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: "as well as the critical notion of imagined community"... :-)

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 01:46 PM, Steven Noels wrote:

> http://www.brandingkorea.com/data/board/TBBKD_SL/upload/
> brand_community.pdf or
> http://216.239.53.100/
> search?q=cache:Nz0oNDvblCYC:www.brandingkorea.com/data/board/TBBKD_SL/
> upload/
> brand_community.pdf+%22refers+to+as+consciousness+of+kind%22&hl=en&ie=U
> TF-8 if you want to read more.

Oh excellent, my copy came from a gated community.  I asked one of the
authors if I could pass along a copy.  He just provided me with this
quicker link:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JCR/journal/issues/v27n4/270402/
270402.web.pdf

Every time somebody uses the work community, religion, relationship it
makes my teeth hurt; so I was surprised to find something that pleased
me to read.
That paper references a lot of obviously hard won models of what
community is, so now I'm going to have to go read a mess of stuff.

I find it's amazingly rare to find anything about community that isn't
moronic, simplistic, or romantic.  Or worse argues that community is
just another victim of modern life.  I think quite the contrary that
the net is a typhoon of community building.

  - ben

Re: "as well as the critical notion of imagined community"... :-)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Ben Hyde wrote:

> Read this this morning, found it thought provoking...
>
> "While there are many definitions of community, a review of the
> sociology literature reveals at least three core components or markers
> of community, as well as the critical notion of imagined community
> (Anderson 1983).  The first and most important element of community is
> what Gusfield (1978) refers to as consciousness of kind.  consciousness
> of kind is the intrinsic connection that members feel toward one
> another, and the collective sense of difference from others not in the
> community.  Consciousness of kind is shared consciousness, a way of
> thinking about things that is more than shared attitudes or perceived
> similarity.  It is a shared knowing of belonging (Weber [1922] 1978).
> The second indicator of community is the presence of shared rituals and
> traditions.  Rituals and traditions perpetuate the community's shared
> history, culture, and consciousness.  rituals 'serve to contain the
> drift of meanings; ... [they] are conventions that set up visible public
> definitions" "Douglas and Ishwerwood 1979, p65) and social solidarity
> (Durkheim [1915] 1965).  Traditions are sets of "social practices which
> seek to celebrate and inculcate certain behavioral norms and values'
> (Marshal 1994, p. 537).  The third market of community is a sense of
> moral responsibility, which is a felt sense of duty or obligation to the
> community as a whole, and to its individual members.  This sense of
> moral responsibility is what produces, in times of threat to the
> community, collective action."

http://www.brandingkorea.com/data/board/TBBKD_SL/upload/brand_community.pdf
or
http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:Nz0oNDvblCYC:www.brandingkorea.com/data/board/TBBKD_SL/upload/brand_community.pdf+%22refers+to+as+consciousness+of+kind%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8