Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Eldon Carman <ec...@ucr.edu> on 2015/01/27 04:23:17 UTC

Google Summer Of Code Ideas

Google Summer of Code (GSOC) is just around the corner and I wanted to
suggest a few ideas.

- XMark Benchmark - VXQuery still needs more XQuery coverage to run all the
XMark queries.
- HDFS Support - Many organizations are saving data to HDFS and it would be
great if VXQuery could read this data. In addition, the VXQuery cluster
could even be managed by Yarn.
- XML Indexing - Previous work was done on indexing XML, but the project
was never fully integrated into VXQuery. It would be nice to fully
integrate XML indexing into VXQuery.

What are the next steps for us (VXQuery) to participate in GSOC?

Re: Google Summer Of Code Ideas

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>.
Looks generally good to me.
But for VXQUERY-32 it is not clear to me what exactly has to be done and
what is already available.
(Also, it would be really good to understand if/how a combination of
storage in HDFS and text indexing could work - but that's probably not a
project for this year :) ).

Posted by Eldon Carman <ec...@ucr.edu>.

Posted by Till Westmann <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vassilis,

Posted by vassilis tsotras <vt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eldon Carman <ec...@ucr.edu>.

Posted by Till Westmann <we...@gmail.com>.
I agree, those all should be fun projects and helpful projects.

The next steps for us be to add those projects to JIRA with a GSoC tag,
as that's where people will look for it.
I think that we're still a little early, as the mentoring organizations
will only be finalized in February.
But I think that it's a safe bet that the ASF will be in and it's good
to do the project descriptions now.

Posted by Michael Carey <mj...@ics.uci.edu>.