Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Bruley <Da...@bcbsnd.com> on 2009/02/10 15:52:04 UTC

Maven 2.0.9 - Upgrade Hints/Conflicts with other tools?

Hello,

I work for a company that is fairly new to Maven and open source in general.
We are currently using Maven 2.0.5 with Continuum for our continuous build
server and Artifactory for our internal artifact repository.

We need to upgrade to Maven 2.0.9, but this is the first time we have
upgraded and I have a few questions/concerns.  I tried to search for related
info on Google but did not find much.  I also tried to search the last few
months worth of posts on the mailing list.  I did come across an older post
on issues with Continuum and Maven 2.0.7
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3084 and while it is obviously not an
issue for 2.0.9, it's an example of some of the concerns I have of potential
issues to watch out for.

Essentially, my question is, are there any best practices to follow when
upgrading versions of Maven?  Are there easy ways to upgrade all the latest
versions of various plug-ins for example?  Does one necessarily need to
upgrade to the latest versions of plug-ins or is it more of a case by case
basis?  Are there any issues to be aware of with Continuum?  Perhaps that's
a post for the Continuum mailing list.

I apologize if this is too basic a question, as I mentioned we are fairly
new to the environment and I would like to make this initial upgrade as
seamless as possible.  It's not the actual upgrade of Maven, that's simple
enough, more any related steps in the process that we may not be aware of.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dave Bruley
Technical Analyst
CoreLink Administrative Solutions

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message and any attachments are for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
distribution or copying is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient(s), please contact the sender by replying to this e-mail and
destroy/delete all copies of this e-mail message.

RE: Maven 2.0.9 - Upgrade Hints/Conflicts with other tools?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
There were changes between 2.0.5 and 2.0.6 that related to the handling
of transitive dependencies and dependencyManagment. There is a goal in
the dependency plugin to help you prepare your build before you migrate.
You definitely want to look at this:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/examples/prepari
ng-dependencies.html

Anything else should be documented in the release notes for each release
which is still on the site. Also note that 2.0.10 is staged and being
voted on. Assuming it will pass, it's 2 days away from a release.

Posted by Doug Douglass <do...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, we setup a second CI system (hudson) in order to run builds with
several different future versions of maven to help catch upgrade issues.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com>.