Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Irv Salisbury <ir...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/22 06:26:57 UTC

Embedding James in an application

We have a need to embed mail like functionality inside our
application.  We don't need the SMTP and POP3 portions of a mail
server.  We need the concept of an inbox, trash, different users,
mailing "lists", etc.  Does this seem like a fit for James?

Also, can you use James in an "embedded mode" where it doesn't have
the transports, but is simply called from Java?

I hope to be able to give back anything we develop.  Our application
is cocoon based, so if this works out, we will be writing a James
transformer that works with XML commands and returns XML messages.
So, I guess another question is, has anyone already done this?  (Don't
need to reinvent the wheel)

Any other suggestions or places to look would be appreciated.  I am
sure if this passes the "smell" test I'll be asking a lot more
questions.

Thanks,

Irv

Re: Embedding James in an application

Posted by Irv Salisbury <ir...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the info.  I don't really want to use IMAP either.  I
really need it to be just embedded, where I call the Java apis and it
talks directly to the database.  I just need the structure of the
folders, users, etc.  Does it still sound plausible?

Irv

RE: IMAP for James: offering help to development

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.

Don't know. I assume not.

> Why are there two directories named "imap" and "imap2" ? Maybe one is the
> old one and imap2 is a new rewriting?

IMAP2 is the protocol stack I am working from. It is a fairly complete
implementation of IMAP4v1 using in memory stores. The IMAP proposal is now
quite old.

> Are there any other information on the state of IMAP for James apart the
> ones I can find in the sources themselves?

Sorry, but you are correct. There is only the source. I normally ignore most
the IMAP stack except for the ImapHost and its implementation as this is
where the most works needs to be done.

I hope to be able to commit some of my IMAP work soon. This will only be the
repository side. You will not be able "select" mailboxes yet, therefore you
will not be able to view their contents. I currently need to fix the
subscribe/unsubscribe code.

My plan is as follows:
* Fix subs/unsubs
* Test mailbox delete & rename
* Map ImapMessages onto mail objects (this is quite tricky)
* At this point we will have a crudely functional IMAP system. This will be
my Alpha 1 release
* Fix any issues I know I have broken or I know need fixing (there are a few
of these)
* Add in/correct database support
* Alpha 2 release

After that we shall see

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
Apologies, Antonio.

R: Embedding James in an application

Posted by Antonio Chirizzi <an...@chirizzi.com>.
Hello,

we (Renato and I) would like to help increasing the momentum.
We would like to complete IMAP for James.
Sure we could work only by night, since we too have children, but I think we

Posted by Danny Angus <Da...@slc.co.uk>.
Irv