Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mark Brucks <mb...@earthlink.net> on 2005/01/17 05:18:23 UTC

another nose for the grindstone

I'd like to join the fop development group.  I've been an xsl/fop user
for the last year or so (generating PDF), but several new projects I'm
proposing have a need for a robust and complete awt renderer, and I'd
like to devote some time to ensuring this happens.  I have a little bit
of time in the near term to commit to the project, and I hope much more
time starting in the April time frame.  I'd like to use the next 2
months to come up to speed, then dive in to serious work when more time
is available.

I need some advice.  I've learned enough about xsl and fop to get my job
done, but there are lots of holes in my knowledge base.  I'd like to
spend a little bit of time carefully reading the XSL spec.  Should I
read the XSL V1.1 working draft (in anticipation of things to come), or
should I stick with the V1.0 recommendation (which I assume is what the
new version of fop will implement).

Do the development and design documents that are available on-line
relate to the root/trunk/redesign version, or do they still describe the
maintenance branch?

Is there a development schedule or a prioritized list of features to be
implemented?

Is anybody else actively working on the awt rendered for the next release?

Since this is my first foray into open-source development, any and all
advice is welcome.

Thanks - Mark Brucks

Re: another nose for the grindstone

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 22.02.2005 12:43:56 Renaud Richardet wrote:
> Mark, just let me know when you'll start to work on it.
> Clay, sorry for not making clear that i needed the maintenance code
> for reference.
> Jeremias, thanks for the pointer
>
> i'm not sure about the following. please correct me if i'm wrong:
>
> the (currently named) AWTRenderer allows 3 different kinds of output
> 1) GUI-application

or only a single window or just a part of a window.

> 2) a java Image (containing all areas represented as Graphics2D's)

Not sure what you mean. Oleg Tkachenko wrote an extension of the AWT
Renderer that paints the area tree to a single bitmap (per page) through
the Graphics2D interface. This is something I like to see integrated
directly into the render.java2d interface.

> 3) a printed document through AWTPrintRenderer, or is it

Right. That's where the Printable interface comes into play.

> the commandline options to start the differents output are

Don't make a 1:1 association between the capabilities of the command
line and all the possible use cases of the Java2D renderer.

> 1) -awt

That displays the example preview window in the render.awt.viewer
package.

> 2) ????

With the bitmap output support added, this will be -jpg and -tiff and
-png etc.

> 3) -print

That kicks the AWTPrintRenderer.

> i started to investigate the rendering system. the AbstractRenderer is
> well designed and already implementing a lot of stuff, so that should
> go allright for the AWTRenderer.

Yes, try to use as much as possible from the AbstractRenderer to avoid
duplicate code. If you see possibilities for consolidating functionality
between the PDF and Java2D renderer, then please tell us.

If I don't get any objections by tomorrow morning (CET) I'm going to
rename the AWTRenderer to Java2DRenderer so you can work on the real
thing.

Another thing: If you plan to regularly start to contribute to FOP or
simply to be on the safe side because you're not just going to
contribute a small bugfix only, it might be good if you sent a signed
ICLA (Individual Contributor License Agreement) to the secretary of the
ASF. See here for a text and PDF version of the ICLA:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf

That's not the same as commit rights or committership, but we might get
to that in time. :-)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: another nose for the grindstone

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@gmail.com>.
Mark, just let me know when you'll start to work on it.
Clay, sorry for not making clear that i needed the maintenance code
for reference.
Jeremias, thanks for the pointer

i'm not sure about the following. please correct me if i'm wrong:

the (currently named) AWTRenderer allows 3 different kinds of output
1) GUI-application
2) a java Image (containing all areas represented as Graphics2D's)
3) a printed document through AWTPrintRenderer, or is it

the commandline options to start the differents output are
1) -awt
2) ????
3) -print

i started to investigate the rendering system. the AbstractRenderer is
well designed and already implementing a lot of stuff, so that should
go allright for the AWTRenderer.

thanks, renaud

--
renaud.richardet (at) gmail (dot) com
+41 78 675 9501

Re: another nose for the grindstone

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Clay,

he knows that. I told him to use the maintenance branch code as a
reference for bringing back the AWT Renderer in CVS HEAD. Renaud and I
met last Friday at lots.ch.

So, Renaud, please use the code found under the "fop-0_20_2-maintain"
branch for reference. And happy hacking!

On 22.02.2005 05:38:58 The Web Maestro wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Renaud Richardet wrote:
> > bonjour fop-devs
>
> Salut! Bienvenue!
>
> > i would like to work on the awt renderer. Mark (or someone else) , are
> > you working on it?
> > i checked out the code from FOP 0.20.5. is it the latest maintenance
> > version?
> >
> > thanks, renaud
>
> Actually, the fop-0.20.5 code is merely for reference. All FOP
> development has moved away from the fop-0.20-5 branch
> (fop-0_20-maintain OR 'maintenance' branch) in favor of  the re-design
> branch (HEAD). This was done because the 'maintenance' branch had
> significant problems that were not easily resolvable. The re-design
> branch occurred because of problems in implementing the XSL0FO 1.0
> spec--specifically with the 'keeps' I believe.
>
> In any case, if you wish to contribute to FOP development, please check
> out the HEAD branch. You may look to fop-0.20.5 for reference, but any
> work you do on that branch will probably not be integrated into FOP
> 1.0.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: another nose for the grindstone

Posted by Mark Brucks <mb...@earthlink.net>.
Renaud et al

I've had less time to devote to it than I thought, but I am working my
way carefully through the spec (and trying to keep up with the posts to
fop-dev).  The bottom line is that I'm not actively working on the code
yet - I hope to be by April.  So, if you've got time now, you should
pick what you want to work on, and I'll fill in where needed.

Mark Brucks

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 21, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Renaud Richardet wrote:
> bonjour fop-devs

Salut! Bienvenue!

> i would like to work on the awt renderer. Mark (or someone else) , are
> you working on it?
> i checked out the code from FOP 0.20.5. is it the latest maintenance
> version?
>
> thanks, renaud

Actually, the fop-0.20.5 code is merely for reference. All FOP
development has moved away from the fop-0.20-5 branch
(fop-0_20-maintain OR 'maintenance' branch) in favor of  the re-design
branch (HEAD). This was done because the 'maintenance' branch had
significant problems that were not easily resolvable. The re-design
branch occurred because of problems in implementing the XSL0FO 1.0
spec--specifically with the 'keeps' I believe.

In any case, if you wish to contribute to FOP development, please check
out the HEAD branch. You may look to fop-0.20.5 for reference, but any
work you do on that branch will probably not be integrated into FOP
1.0.

Cheers!

Web Maestro Clay
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: another nose for the grindstone

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@gmail.com>.
bonjour fop-devs

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Hi Mark

Re: marketing Defoe

Posted by "Peter B. West" <li...@pbw.id.au>.
Glen Mazza wrote:
> (Don't let Peter rattle you, Jeremias--he's just
> jealous that I've found more XSL spec bugs than him.
> ;)

You have a lead I am unlikely to overhaul.

> Our delays are mostly related to advanced issues
> concerning layout, and the type of parser used doesn't
> have much effect on this issue.

Time will tell.

> So I don't share
> Peter's conviction that FOP is in need of a major
> design overhaul--or that Defoe's layout is as complete
> as it needs to be either, for the matter.

There is no Defoe layout ... yet...

> Both sides
> have a lot of work to do.

...so yes, there is a lot of work to be done on Defoe.

> Glen

Peter

PS Thanks to Clay for the feedback.

Re: marketing Defoe

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
(Don't let Peter rattle you, Jeremias--he's just
jealous that I've found more XSL spec bugs than him.
;)

Our delays are mostly related to advanced issues
concerning layout, and the type of parser used doesn't
have much effect on this issue.  So I don't share
Peter's conviction that FOP is in need of a major
design overhaul--or that Defoe's layout is as complete
as it needs to be either, for the matter.  Both sides
have a lot of work to do.

Glen

Re: marketing Defoe

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Peter,

On 17.01.2005 12:07:47 Peter B. West wrote:
> Jeremias,
>
> Do you disagree with the assessment?  Clearly people might, but I didn't
> say anything I don't believe is the truth about the state of FOP.  If it
> is true, isn't it fair to let newcomers know the state of play?  Finn
> has already talked about a radically different approach in order to
> solve the large files problem, and I'm sure he will present you with a
> swag of patches to do just that at some time in the future.  I just hope
> he doesn't do it so soon as to render Defoe moot.  One of its underlying
> features will be what is effectively a stream parsing mechanism.  It's
> acceptance, which I take to be a fait accompli, there being no other
> design contenders, will be particularly galling for me, in light of the
> the blanket refusal to consider it when I proposed it, as I still do.
>
> I think I have earned the right to speak my mind on these issues.
>
> Peter
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Peter,
> >
> > it's ok if you make other people aware of your project but the way you
> > did that in your last post disturbs me. We know that you disagree with
> > FOP's approach, but I would have preferred a more constructive form of
> > making Mark aware of Defoe. Maybe I'm overreacting...

Jeremias Maerki

Re: marketing Defoe

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
Peter,

FWIW, I was shocked by the tone of your statement as well. Not so much
by any misleading or such. Rather, it was more in the way that I'm
shocked by the manner that, in the US companies can discuss differences
with other products in their advertisements.

Had you also 'advertised' FOray in the same way you promoted Defoe, it
might've taken a bit of the tone down (I don't know--you didn't mention
FOray so I don't *know* how it would've come off).

In any case, as I suspect is true for with the rest of the FOP team, I
am grateful to your continued contributions to the FOP project, and I
hope your contribution will continue.

Web Maestro Clay

Re: marketing Defoe

Posted by "Peter B. West" <li...@pbw.id.au>.
Jeremias,

Re: marketing Defoe (was: another nose for the grindstone)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Peter,

On 17.01.2005 06:01:27 Peter B. West wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Project Defoe <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/>, formerly Fop alt-design,
> is focussed on a Java 2D renderer, robust and complete.  By complete I
> mean, in particular, able to correctly handle last-page, keeps, table
> auto-layout and large files.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that,
> because FOP has been around for a long time, it is only the place to be
> for open source XSL-FO development.  Rather, ask why, if it has been
> around for such a long time, these problems haven't been solved.  Don't
> make the mistake of thinking that all software problems are solved by
> simply applying more resources.
>
> Having said that, let me add that the project seems to have found its
> shepherd, in the form of Finn Bock.  Many of the long-standing
> innovations of alt-design in the property handling have at last been
> introduced by Finn, who has the happy knack of being able to completely
> rewrite large chunks of FOP by applying a wide-ranging but complete set
> of changes.  He may well solve FOP's remaining critical problems in the
> same way.
>
> The point is, that FOP needs a major design overhaul.  I'm doing that at
> Defoe, and Finn is doing it, piecemeal, at FOP.  His focus though is not
> on Java 2D, and getting a "complete and robust" implementation of the 2D
> renderer will depend on Finn's new design.  If you want to know more
> about where FOP is headed, ask Finn.
>
> Defoe is Java 5.0 based.  If that doesn't work for you, don't bother
> with Defoe.  Otherwise, if you are interested in avenues for your XSL-FO
> development efforts, I am happy to talk to you.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: another nose for the grindstone

Posted by "Peter B. West" <li...@pbw.id.au>.
Mark,