Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com> on 2001/06/06 21:35:19 UTC

Internal server error

Hi Folks
    I am using latest Cocoon-2.0b1 with Tomcat-3.2.2 and following
the instructions to the letter and this is what I get
Regards
Joseph Rajkumar

Instructions followed: http://xml.apache.org/cocoon2/install.html
PS: why is the sitemap hander's sitemap NOT available and how can I
make it available
Cocoon 2 - Internal server error

type internal-server-error
message The sitemap handler's sitemap is not available.
description org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: The sitemap handler's
sitemap is not available.
source Cocoon servlet
request-uri
/cocoon/
exception
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: The sitemap handler's sitemap is
not available.
path-info
stacktrace
org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: The sitemap handler's sitemap is
not available.
        at
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.setupProcessing(Manager.java:179)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.invoke(Manager.java:93)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:471)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)

        at
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:797)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:213)

        at

        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Re: Internal server error/sitemap handler's sitemap is not available

Posted by Eirik Dentz <ei...@brainlink.com>.
Glad you got it working.  I have a little more time now and I wanted offer a
bit more that may, or may not be helpful to others on this list. I am rather
new to Java, XML and Cocoon so it would be great if those of you who know
otherwise could correct me where appropriate.

Background:  I ran into the "sitemap handler's sitemap is not available"
error while trying to install Cocoon 2.0a7 on a headless Debian/Linux
(2.2.18 kernel) box with the Blackdown 1.3.0 j2sdk and Tomcat 3.2.2.

After searching the mailing list archives and seeing that a lot of other
people were running into the same error message and a couple of days of
research, this is my understanding of the problem and one possible solution
(it worked for me, YMMV :)

After digging around a bit and following various threads on the list I
realized that the sitemap compilation failure could be traced back to this
line in my Cocoon.log:
java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as
the value of the DISPLAY variable.

It seems that it is the batik.jar, that triggers this error.  This is why
commenting out all of the .SVG stuff in the sitemap is one way to get the
sitemap to compile, though without all of the cool SVG stuff, which I guess
many can do without, but it is a wonderful thing...

Donald Ball offered this link which made me realize that this is a well
documented problem in the java.awt and not actually a bug in Cocoon or even
batik.

http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/java-image-coding.html

of the 3 solutions offered, I chose to go with Xvfb after doing a bit of
re-search on "Xvfb" using google and: http://search.java.sun.com/Search/java
Fortunately it was available as a .deb from the debian ftp servers. There
are .rpms available too. A google or rpmfind search should turn them up.

Once it was installed it was just a matter of starting it up:
shell$ Xvfb :0 -screen 0 640x480x8
and setting the display variable:
shell$ export DISPLAY=:0

The one other thing that you'll probably need to check is that the user that
cocoon(tomcat) is running as has permission to connect to the xserver.

Whew! hope that saves someone some time.

eirik

Re: Internal server error

Re: Internal server error

Posted by eirikdentz <ei...@brainlink.com>.
What is your OS?  Are you running a headless server?  You should take a
look in your cocoon.log which should be  in
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/log/  and see if there are any error
messages just before this one.  This should tell you what is causing the
sitemap compilation to fail.

eirik

Re: Internal server error

Posted by Bryan Murphy <br...@terralab.com>.
Comment out every entry in your sitemap.xmap file that contains 'svg'
minus the quotes.  sitemap.xmap is located in the webapps/cocoon
directory.  You might have to uncompress the war archive to modify it.
Restart tomcat, and everything should work EXCEPT for the svg stuff.
If you want to use the svg stuff, you're out of luck till somebody fixes
that problem.