Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Vinicius Carvalho <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/25 04:11:33 UTC

Does spindle helps?

Well I'm starting to believe that the help provided by spindle is
doubtful. It's a beta plugin, every time I try to get it a new
version, it simply does NOT work with my eclipse version (3.1) so I
gotta go back to 3.1.20 (the only one that seems to work with minor
bugs). I know its not an easy task, but I'd rather have less versions
and more reliable ones than having a whole bunch of versions that
simply does not work.

Thats just what I think anyway ...

Re: Does spindle helps?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
That is a MOST UNFAIR way to vent your frustration with Eclipse. It's
unfair to Geoff.  Eclipse has been a moving target headed toward 3.1,
so it's no wonder there are going to be teething issues.  You should
be lauding Geoff for working so hard, and fixing bugs, and trying to
keep up with Eclipse, rather than flaming him. If you rely on Spindle,
then you need to keep an Eclipse 3.0 workspace around until Eclipse is
stable enough to ensure that Spindle works. I do that for my demos.

On 6/24/05, Vinicius Carvalho <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I'm starting to believe that the help provided by spindle is
> doubtful. It's a beta plugin, every time I try to get it a new
> version, it simply does NOT work with my eclipse version (3.1) so I
> gotta go back to 3.1.20 (the only one that seems to work with minor
> bugs). I know its not an easy task, but I'd rather have less versions
> and more reliable ones than having a whole bunch of versions that
> simply does not work.
>
> Thats just what I think anyway ...

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Does spindle helps?

Posted by Michel Salim <mi...@gmail.com>.
This is slightly unrelated, but since this thread seems to be quite
active, guess I'll ask here:

What's the historical reason behind Spindle using the com.iw namespace
instead of, say, net.sf.spindle?

Just curious.. fwiw, it works fine for me on 3.1RC1 / Mac.

Thanks,

- Michel

2005/6/26, Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>:
> s'ok.
>
> I'm downloading Eclipse 3.1RC4 right now and will be creating Spindle
> 3.2.0 which will be an Eclipse 3.1 specific version. 3.2.0 will not be
> backwards compatible with Eclipse 3.0 so I should be able to eliminate
> some of the "kludges" I was using to ensure Spindle would run in both
> Eclipse 3.0 and 3.1.
>
> Pls give 3.2.0  a whirl when I put it out and pls log any bugs you find.
>
> Geoff
>
> On 6/25/05, Vinicius Carvalho <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry all, most to you Geoff, but its really frustrating having so
> > much trouble when updating my eclipse version. I'm downloading Eclipse
> > RC2 and RC3 and giving a shot.
> > I'm really sorry, I've been awaken for  hours doing my Tapestry
> > presentation and should not
> > put my frustrations on you guys, I'm ashamed. Sorry... I should take
> > Sunday to relax and reflect a bit...

> > > I for one have had no problems with Spindle, and I've used the latest
> > > version in various versions of Eclipse (WTP Eclipse, JBoss IDE, various
> > > 3.1 milestones).  I'm sure now that Eclipse 3.1 is near release, things
> > > should calm down a bit.  Try doing a fresh Eclipse install + Spindle.  I
> > > can recommend the latest WTP Eclipse bundle, with Eclipse m6 + WTP m4
> > > located here:
> > >
> > > http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/webtools/downloads/drops/S-1.0M4-200504292037/wtp-eclipse-emf-gef-jem-sdk-1.0M4.zip
> > >
> > > It's not the latest Eclipse, but the most important features are there
> > > (the most important being proper Java 5 support).
> > >
> > > Just use an Eclipse that works with the plug-ins you use, and wait until
> > > Spindle is release for Eclipse 3.1 final which should due soon.

Michel Salim ζž—ζ™Ίε‹‡
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~msalim

Re: Does spindle helps?

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
s'ok.

Re: Does spindle helps?

Posted by Vinicius Carvalho <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Does spindle helps?

Posted by John Hendrikx <hj...@xs4all.nl>.

Re: Does spindle helps?

Posted by Kevin Menard <ni...@negativetwenty.net>.
Geoff Longman wrote:
> Have you logged a bug against Spindle? Done *anything* to describe
> your problems in a way that can be examined and possibly addressed?

With that said, Geoff is very responsive.  Every bug I have ever logged
has been fixed.  And they have been fixed in a very timely manner.
That's not to say that Spindle is perfect, but coming here to complain
about it hardly seems productive.

FWIW, I'm currently using 3.1 RC2 with the latest Spindle build without
issue.  But, up until M7, the eclipse API was not stable, so getting a
plugin that worked across all milestone versions (while maintaining
compatibility with 3.0) seems like it would be a not so easy task.

--
Kevin

Re: Does spindle helps?

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.