Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/05/19 23:52:53 UTC

Installation Docs

Attached are two files: a much abbreviated INSTALL and a revamp of
install.html.  Here is what my goals were:

INSTALL is a just a pointer to the real install docs with a very basic
quickstart guide for people who have nothing but an xterm to work with.

I removed most of the ./configure documentation because it was either
obsolete or not functional because of bugs in httpd-2.0. I documented only
the most basic things that people need to get things going, and that I
could verify actually work.  I do not think that this is at all complete,
or even necessarily completely accurate, but I hope it is a good base for
future work.  In addition, I think that it is MUCH more useful than what
is there for people actually trying to get 2.0 up and running.

I will commit install.html unless I see major objections.  By major
objections I mean either 1. You think what is already there is better than
this; or 2. You think this is heading in the wrong direction completely.

I am also very interested in input on how to improve this, but I plan to
commit it as is and then do improvements later.  That way, others can take
a crack at it too.

I do not have the karma to commit INSTALL, so I would appreciate it if
someone could take care of that for me.

--
Joshua Slive
slive@commerce.ubc.ca

Re: Installation Docs

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Sat, 19 May 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> I will commit install.html unless I see major objections.  By major
> objections I mean either 1. You think what is already there is better than
> this; or 2. You think this is heading in the wrong direction completely.
>
> I am also very interested in input on how to improve this, but I plan to
> commit it as is and then do improvements later.  That way, others can take
> a crack at it too.
>
> I do not have the karma to commit INSTALL, so I would appreciate it if
> someone could take care of that for me.

+1.  Go ahead and commit install.html and I'll take care of INSTALL once
that's in place (assuming I see no objections). I might like to see a
*little* more detail in INSTALL (eg the general syntax for
enabling/disabling a module) and some other little tweaks, but that can
come later.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: Installation Docs

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Sat, 19 May 2001, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > Anyway, here is another draft of INSTALL that incorporates your
> > suggestions.  I've already committed install.html.
>
> Committed, thanks.  I tweaked a few other things as well... please do me a
> favor and give it a once-over.

Looks good.  My only nit is that the "typical installation" path should
be /usr/local/apache2 since that is the Apache 2.0 default.

Joshua.

Re: Installation Docs

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Installation Docs

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 19 May 2001, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> I'd have it say this:
>
>       * If you are building on FreeBSD, be aware that threads will
>         be disabled and the prefork MPM will be used by default,
>         as threads do not work well with Apache on FreeBSD.  If
>         you wish to try a threaded Apache on FreeBSD anyway, use
>         "./configure --enable-threads".

Looks good to me.  I sort of think there should be a "Release Notes"
section for this kind of thing.  It doesn't seem really appropriate for
the install docs.

Anyway, here is another draft of INSTALL that incorporates your
suggestions.  I've already committed install.html.

Joshua

Re: Installation Docs

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Sat, 19 May 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> I will commit install.html unless I see major objections.  By major
> objections I mean either 1. You think what is already there is better than
> this; or 2. You think this is heading in the wrong direction completely.
>
> I am also very interested in input on how to improve this, but I plan to
> commit it as is and then do improvements later.  That way, others can take
> a crack at it too.
>
> I do not have the karma to commit INSTALL, so I would appreciate it if
> someone could take care of that for me.

One question: I agree with Ken that the warning about FreeBSD should
remain, but it might not need to be quite so verbose.  Since APR disables
threads by default on FreeBSD (right?), Apache should automatically choose
MPM=prefork by default (right?).  So really all the note needs to say is
that this is going to happen, and you can change it back with
--enable-threads.  So right now it says this:

      * If you are building on FreeBSD, you should add the argument
        --with-mpm=prefork to the configure line.  The Apache Group
        has discovered that threads do not work well with Apache
        on FreeBSD.  For that reason, we disable threads by default
        on FreeBSD, and you need to build the prefork MPM.  If you wish
        to try to make threads work on FreeBSD, they can be re-enabled
        by using --enable-threads

I'd have it say this:

      * If you are building on FreeBSD, be aware that threads will
        be disabled and the prefork MPM will be used by default,
        as threads do not work well with Apache on FreeBSD.  If
        you wish to try a threaded Apache on FreeBSD anyway, use
        "./configure --enable-threads".

Does that work?

--Cliff