Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/02/02 16:54:16 UTC

RE: How does SMTP transfer work (was: i need help!!!!)

Considering that you are doing this for a college course, I suggest that you
read the IETF RFC documents governing e-mail.

> Other mail servers will send their emails to james(not only james but
other
> mail servers) by finding it's hostname?

RFC 2821 describes the process by which mail host resolution is performed.
The simple version is that a domain's MX record is requested from the DNS.

> if true can i name a hostname like [davemail.com] shown below? even in a
> standalone pc?

You can call yourself whatever you want, but other servers may flag you as
questionable if they decide to perform a reverse DNS lookup.

> Is it true in order to send email and receive email from the real world
like
> yahoo or hotmail i must have a fixed IP?

False.  However, if you are sending e-mail from a dynamic IP, your e-mail
will likely be flagged as spam.  In either case, you want to establish a
domain name and an MX record.  See www.dyndns.org for one such free service
for dynamic IP users.

> I know to use database i must uncomment the tags done that.
> But it's not creating a the db mail in mysql why?

And how is anyone supposed to answer that question without seeing what
you've done?  James will create the tables.  Did you remember to create the
database?

> How to make the user mike have an alias @davemail.com?

Does davemail.com exist?  What do you mean by "alias"?

I recommend that you consider descriptive subjects.  Subjects like "I need
help!!!" are actually less likely to be read.

	--- Noel

ref:
http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:Rx-raoTa3JUC:www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/s
mart-questions.html

RE: How does SMTP transfer work (was: i need help!!!!)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Aaron,

> >Considering that you are doing this for a college course, I suggest that
you
> >read the IETF RFC documents governing e-mail.
> Jeeze Noel.  That's a bit harsh.

I just get the uncomfortable feeling that he's asking us to do his homework
for him, that's all.

	--- Noel

Re: How does SMTP transfer work (was: i need help!!!!)

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Considering that you are doing this for a college course, I suggest that you
>read the IETF RFC documents governing e-mail.

Jeeze Noel.  That's a bit harsh.  I'm glad you weren't my lecturer at
school.  I managed to get through my entire education without reading a
single rfc (and scored highly)!  Of course, coping in the real world
meant reading quite a number of them.

:-)

ADK