Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Antares on Wheels <an...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/07 21:47:52 UTC

Creating a validatable component

Hi,

I've created a component that includes two drop-down lists.  The user
is expected to select a value from both lists.  Otherwise, the input
is considered invalid.

I have implemented this by inheriting from BaseComponent.  But I am
having trouble with the validation.  How can I set it so that
validation follows the aforementioned all-or-nothing rule?

Are there any interfaces that the component needs to implement --
e.g., ValidatableField?  I've tried that, but my validation delegate
refuses to recognize the new component (it says something like, "the
fieldName property must not be null").

Is there a way to have my component return a single value (e.g.,
"val1|val2") that could then by picked up by a StringValidator?  Are
there any methods or interfaces I need to implement for that?

Thanks for any help.