Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Litrik De Roy <co...@litrik.com> on 2003/10/08 21:55:02 UTC

Why is the link to the wiki so far away ?

Remember during the GT2003 when Steven asked the audience whether they check
the website or the wiki for docs?

I was surprised to see how hard it is to find out about the wiki when
visiting the Cocoon website:

There is no link on the navigation bar on http://cocoon.apache.org/ nor on
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/ . There is a link on
http://cocoon.apache.org/link/sites.html and some other pages but they are
too far away.

A link to the Wiki would fit under the category "Community" I guess.

Litrik De Roy
www.litrik.com

Re: Why is the link to the wiki so far away ?

Posted by Litrik De Roy <co...@litrik.com>.
> > Remember during the GT2003 when Steven asked the audience whether they
check
> > the website or the wiki for docs?
> >
> > I was surprised to see how hard it is to find out about the wiki when
> > visiting the Cocoon website:
> >
> > There is no link on the navigation bar on http://cocoon.apache.org/ nor
on
> > http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/ . There is a link on
> > http://cocoon.apache.org/link/sites.html and some other pages but they
are
> > too far away.
> >
> > A link to the Wiki would fit under the category "Community" I guess.
>
> that's a good one!
>
> ...but why not have it right on the front page if
> people use it that much?

Fine as well.

Just make sure that it is on all "homepages". Since 2.1 there is the main
page at http://cocoon.apache.org/ and the homepage for each version
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/ and http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/

If there is only a link on the real homepage, people that jump right to the
homepage of the current release would miss it.

Litrik De Roy
www.litrik.com

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, Oct 9, 2003, at 13:16 Europe/Rome, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Litrik De Roy wrote:
>
>> Remember during the GT2003 when Steven asked the audience whether
>> they check
>> the website or the wiki for docs?
>> I was surprised to see how hard it is to find out about the wiki when
>> visiting the Cocoon website:
>> There is no link on the navigation bar on http://cocoon.apache.org/
>> nor on
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/ . There is a link on
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/link/sites.html and some other pages but
>> they are
>> too far away.
>> A link to the Wiki would fit under the category "Community" I guess.
>
> that's a good one!
>
> ...but why not have it right on the front page if
> people use it that much?

+1

--
Stefano.

Re: Why is the link to the wiki so far away ?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Thanks Litrik, i added a navigation menu item to both the top-level
site and the 2.1 docs, and also a mention about documentation in general
on the top-level index.html
--David