Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Andreas Niekler <an...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> on 2012/10/30 15:12:54 UTC

operationalProperties

Dear List,

can please anyone comment on the effect that the following settings in a
analysisEngineDescription have? I wonder if they change the order of the
processing in a multi-threaded run of a cpe. Does is change anything if
i set those parameters or is it just to control things from outside?

I ask because i need to log which files where able to run through all
processes Annotators since many of the annotators contanct web services.
In the cas consumer i than write the list to a file. But what if there
is one process that says modifiesCas=false. If an error happens in there
does the CAS Consumer care and end the Chain or does it just don't care?
IS there a documentation on this?

<operationalProperties>
       <modifiesCas>true</modifiesCas>
       <multipleDeploymentAllowed>true</multipleDeploymentAllowed>
       <outputsNewCASes>false</outputsNewCASes>
  </operationalProperties>

Thank you all

--
Andreas Niekler, Dipl. Ing. (FH)
NLP Group | Department of Computer Science

mail: aniekler@informatik.uni-leipzig.deg.de

Re: operationalProperties

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hello Andreas,

as far as I know, the CPE executes components (casProcessors) in the order that they are defined in the CPE descriptor.

outputsNewCASes: should be set to true on a CAS multiplier. Mind that CPEs do not support these.

multipleDeploymentAllowed: the CPE creates multiple instances on all components with this set to true (usually AEs). Once the CPE hits the first component with this set to false, all following components are only instantiated once.

modifiesCas: I think this has no particular effect in a CPE. No idea really where this is used. A quick search on the UIMA source code didn't seem to produce any location where this setting has any effect.

Best,

-- Richard

Am 30.10.2012 um 15:12 schrieb Andreas Niekler <an...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>:

> Dear List,
>
> can please anyone comment on the effect that the following settings in a analysisEngineDescription have? I wonder if they change the order of the processing in a multi-threaded run of a cpe. Does is change anything if i set those parameters or is it just to control things from outside?
>
> I ask because i need to log which files where able to run through all processes Annotators since many of the annotators contanct web services. In the cas consumer i than write the list to a file. But what if there is one process that says modifiesCas=false. If an error happens in there does the CAS Consumer care and end the Chain or does it just don't care? IS there a documentation on this?
>
> <operationalProperties>
>      <modifiesCas>true</modifiesCas>
>      <multipleDeploymentAllowed>true</multipleDeploymentAllowed>
>      <outputsNewCASes>false</outputsNewCASes>
> </operationalProperties>
>
> Thank you all
>
> --
> Andreas Niekler, Dipl. Ing. (FH)
> NLP Group | Department of Computer Science
> University of Leipzig
> Johannisgasse 26 | 04103 Leipzig

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de