Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bob Riaz <br...@mum.edu> on 2008/01/26 17:49:06 UTC

Reload modifed servlet

Hello all,

My environment:
Windows XP-Pro
Tomcat 6
JDK 6
Eclipse JEE IDE

I find that whenever I make a change to my servlet, I need to
"Clean/Rebuild" the project in order for the changes to take effect. Even
restarting Tomcat doesn't take the change. It didn't used to be this way!!
I've set reloadable="true" in Context.xml - doesn't help. This is the
situation on one machine. On a different machine using the same environment
I don't have this problem. Something about the way Tomcat was configured on
this machine then?
If anybody's had this probelm, please share your thoughts!

Many thanks.

Bob

Re: Reload modifed servlet

Posted by david delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
Since you need to do a clean/rebuild, which is an operation that occurs
on the webapp building side, i'll tend to say it's not related to tomcat
but more on the way your build process workd, it may be that it fails to
see the servlet need a recompilation on the developer's IDE. Compiling
servlet is outside of tomcat scopes.

Note: on windows environments, the .class files, when they are opened by
tomcat won't be rewritable unless you stop tomcat. To update a webapp
you have to unload it first. If you have classloader leak in your
webapp, you even have to stop tomcat after that before updating files.
There is a config option in context.xml to prevent this (i don't
remember it's name) and allows updating on running tomcat on windows
platforms. It's due to the way OS automatically locks files when you
open them (you don't have such problems on other paltforms)