Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jagadish Raj R <Ja...@symantec.com> on 2011/08/24 11:39:21 UTC

Ajp13Processor threads are not getting closed.

Hi Tomcat Users,

I have a Tomcat server to which another apache webserver connects using AJP 1.3 Connector. I have set up a maxProcessors="75" in connector settings. Whenever a user creates a connection an Ajp13Processor connection thread is created. My problem is this thread does not get terminated even after the user close the session. Please help me in finding some configuration changes that will allow me to close these sessions/threads after a certain timeout value.

I am pasting below the configurations I am using.

        <Connector className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector" port="8089" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" acceptCount="10" connectionTimeout="60000" debug="0"/>

Workers.properties file:-

worker.list=ajp13
worker.ajp13.port=xxxx
worker.ajp13.host=hostname
worker.ajp13.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13.connection_pool_size=75
worker.ajp13.connection_pool_minsize=15
worker.ajp13.connection_pool_timeout=60

Logs from thread dump of tomcat process:-

"Ajp13Processor[xxxx][7]" daemon prio=10 tid=0x0166c038 nid=0xe0 in Object.wait() [0xa64ff000..0xa64ffa28]
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        - waiting on <0xc6de9028> (a org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor)
        at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:474)
        at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.await(Ajp13Processor.java:316)
        - locked <0xc6de9028> (a org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor)
        at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:576)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Versions:-

Tomcat - 4.1.27
Mod JK -  mod_jk-apache-2.0.49-linux-i686.so

Thanks & Regards,
JAGADISH RAJ R | Symantec EAI Support | M P H A S I S an HP company | Level 2, Tower 7, Magarpatta SEZ, Magarpatta city, Pune-411013| Mobile: +91 9011047954| Email: jagadish_raj_r@symantec.com<ma...@symantec.com>

Re: Ajp13Processor threads are not getting closed.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Ajp13Processor threads are not getting closed.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Jagadish Raj R wrote:
> Thanks. I made connection Pool parameters as per documentation.

What the documentation says, basically, is that in the case of an Apache httpd prefork
front-end, you should not use these parameters at all, and leave mod_jk to set them at
their default value.

> What I am looking for is that whether there is any chance we can close the Ajp13Processor threads in Tomcat Server if they are no longer needed, or after a particular time. Whenever I hit the URL on the browser a new thread is getting created and sooner or later it reaches the threshold. Eventually I'll have to restart the server.

I do not understand your problem. What do you mean by "the treshold" ?

In the Apache prefork model, when a request comes in, Apache will use one of its
"children" to process that request.  Children are created as necessary, and killed when no
longer used for a while.
If the child determines that the request is for Tomcat, it will run mod_jk to process the
request.
mod_jk will create a connection with Tomat (only if necessary, if there is none available
in the pool already), to send the request to Tomcat.
Once created, this connection may persist for a while.  That is normal, and it is an
optimisation of mod_jk, to avoid having to create and destroy connections all the time.
(That's what is called the "connection pool", and mod_jk sizes this appropriately by
itself, depending on your Apache and Tomcat configuration).

When a request reaches Tomcat, a Tomcat thread will be created (if needed) to process that
request.  When that request has been processed, and there are no more requests coming,
this thread will terminate.  If there are more requests coming, that thread may be
"recycled" (instead of being terminated) to handle another request (not necessarily for
the same browser, not necessarily for the same webapp).
At that level, whether the request is coming through Apache and mod_jk, or not, does not
make a difference.

Normally this mechanism at the Apache level, at the mod_jk level, and at the Tomcat level,
works smoothly.  It has been refined and tuned over many years for that.
There is no need to twiddle with the parameters to achieve this, it is the default behaviour.

That is, as long as your global configuration (Apache and Tomcat) is properly sized in
function of the number of requests your server has to handle in any period of time, their
duration etc.
As a very rough approximation, and assuming that /most/ requests which reach Apache are in
fact for Tomcat, your Apache MaxClients setting should be approximately the same as the
Tomcat AJP Connector's "maxThreads" setting. And both should represent more or less the
number of requests that you think will be "in process" at the same time.
(And if your server cannot handle this number of processes and threads, get a bigger
server)(or split Apache and Tomcat on two separate servers).

If no more requests are coming, and Tomcat threads do not terminate (become "idle" first,
then disappear after a while) after handling their requests, then it means that something
is holding on to them.  Most probably, the application which the threads are running is
not behaving like it should.

Posted by Jagadish Raj R <Ja...@symantec.com>.
Thanks. I made connection Pool parameters as per documentation.

What I am looking for is that whether there is any chance we can close the Ajp13Processor threads in Tomcat Server if they are no longer needed, or after a particular time. Whenever I hit the URL on the browser a new thread is getting created and sooner or later it reaches the threshold. Eventually I'll have to restart the server.

means that your front-end Apache httpd server is running in "prefork" mode.
And what do the parts in red say in the link I sent you before ?

>   http_core.c
>   mod_so.c
>

> KeepAlive On
> MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

And this :

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Well then..

Jagadish Raj R wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> Here are the results.
>
> Compiled in modules:
>   core.c

this :
>   prefork.c

means that your front-end Apache httpd server is running in "prefork" mode.
And what do the parts in red say in the link I sent you before ?

>   http_core.c
>   mod_so.c
>

> KeepAlive On
> MaxKeepAliveRequests 100

And this :

Posted by Jagadish Raj R <Ja...@symantec.com>.
Hi Andre,

Here are the results.

Compiled in modules:
  core.c
  prefork.c
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c

KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15

Thanks & Regards,
JAGADISH RAJ R

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Edward Quick <Ed...@iggroup.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/08/2011 10:39, Jagadish Raj R wrote:
> Hi Tomcat Users,
>
> I have a Tomcat server to which another apache webserver connects using AJP 1.3 Connector. I have set up a maxProcessors="75" in connector settings. Whenever a user creates a connection an Ajp13Processor connection thread is created. My problem is this thread does not get terminated even after the user close the session. Please help me in finding some configuration changes that will allow me to close these sessions/threads after a certain timeout value.

AJP connections are persistent. They are not meant to close.

Mark

RE: Ajp13Processor threads are not getting closed.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Jagadish Raj R [mailto:Jagadish_Raj_R@symantec.com]
> Subject: Ajp13Processor threads are not getting closed.

> Tomcat - 4.1.27

That version of Tomcat is over eight years old, and Tomcat 4 has not been supported for several years.  Might want to think about upgrading...

 - Chuck