Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by robert rottermann <ro...@redcor.ch> on 2005/05/12 14:41:51 UTC

[users@httpd] problem when using mod_deflate and zip files and IE6

Hi there,

When I use the following combination:

Apache 2.049
Linux (SuSe 9.1)
mod_deflate

and a zip file is served to a IE6 client, the file can not be used
anymore. (I get an error by win zip claiming that it is not a valid zip
archive)

I tried to suppress that mod_deflate by the following rule. This did
help with *.pdf files (which had the same problem), but not zip files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
 DeflateCompressionLevel 3

 DeflateFilterNote Input instream
 DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
 DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio

 LogFormat '"%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate

 # Netscape 4.x has some problems...
 BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

 # Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
 BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

 # MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
 #BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

 # NOTE: Due to a bug in mod_setenvif up to Apache 2.0.48
 # the above regex won't work. You can use the following
 # workaround to get the desired effect:
 BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

 # Don't compress images, java scripts and style sheets
 #_robert_ pdf, gz hinzugeuegt
 SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
   \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|js|css|pdf|gz|zip)$ no-gzip dont-vary

 # Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
 # this needs mod_headers but it's very important
 # so I don't add a IfModule around it
 Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

</IfModule>