Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/05 21:05:16 UTC

[PROPOSAL]: a new feature branch for SQL DSL

Hi all,

I'm working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-301(Add a Beam
SQL DSL). The skeleton is already in
https://github.com/XuMingmin/beam/tree/BEAM-301, using Java SDK in the
back-end. The goal is to provide a SQL interface over Beam, based on
Calcite, including:
1). a translator to create Beam pipeline from SQL,
(SELECT/INSERT/FILTER/GROUP-BY/JOIN/...);
2). an interactive client to submit queries;  (All-SQL mode)
3). a SQL API which reduce the work to create a Pipeline; (Semi-SQL mode)

As we see many folks are interested in this feature, would like to create a
feature branch to have more involvement.
Looking for comments and feedback.

Thanks!
----
Mingmin

Re: [PROPOSAL]: a new feature branch for SQL DSL

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Gonna merge tonight.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL]: a new feature branch for SQL DSL

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys for your interest and discussion.

A quick update that,
 1. the feature branch is ready [1],
 2. a new component created in JIRA as well [2],
 3. a list of tasks in my sight [3],

Any contribute, feedback are very welcome !!

[1]. https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/DSL_SQL
[2]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM/component/12332480
[3].
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16OeBw2-mK8CFRb_4CkbMCQg2KQ1oRp6KEthxKcjxT0A/edit?usp=sharing

--
----

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----

Posted by tarush grover <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tyler,

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi 陈竞,

Posted by tarush grover <ta...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mingmin.

Regards,
Tarush

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----

Posted by tarush grover <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 陈竞 <cj...@gmail.com>.

--
陈竞,中科院计算技术研究所,高性能计算机中心
Jing Chen HPCC.ICT.AC China

Re: [PROPOSAL]: a new feature branch for SQL DSL

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL]: a new feature branch for SQL DSL

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----

Posted by 陈竞 <cj...@gmail.com>.

--
陈竞,中科院计算技术研究所,高性能计算机中心
Jing Chen HPCC.ICT.AC China

Re: [PROPOSAL]: a new feature branch for SQL DSL

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@apache.org>.

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-301?focusedCommentId=15959621&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15959621>

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL]: a new feature branch for SQL DSL

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----

Posted by tarush grover <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
----

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Anderson <je...@bigdatainstitute.io>.
That will be awesome!

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017, 2:05 PM Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-301(Add a Beam
> SQL DSL). The skeleton is already in
> https://github.com/XuMingmin/beam/tree/BEAM-301, using Java SDK in the
> back-end. The goal is to provide a SQL interface over Beam, based on
> Calcite, including:
> 1). a translator to create Beam pipeline from SQL,
> (SELECT/INSERT/FILTER/GROUP-BY/JOIN/...);
> 2). an interactive client to submit queries;  (All-SQL mode)
> 3). a SQL API which reduce the work to create a Pipeline; (Semi-SQL mode)
>
> As we see many folks are interested in this feature, would like to create a
> feature branch to have more involvement.
> Looking for comments and feedback.
>
> Thanks!
> ----
> Mingmin