Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Rong Rong <wa...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/18 01:48:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Flink Kerberos Improvement

Hi All,

We have been experimenting integration of Kerberos with Flink in our Corp
environment and found out some limitations on the current Flink-Kerberos
security mechanism running with Apache YARN.

Based on the Hadoop Kerberos security guide [1]. Apparently there are only
a subset of the suggested long-running service security mechanism is
supported in Flink. Furthermore, the current model does not work well with
superuser impersonating actual users [2] for deployment purposes, which is
a widely adopted way to launch application in corp environments.

We would like to propose an improvement [3] to introduce the other comment
methods [1] for securing long-running application on YARN and enable
impersonation mode. Any comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rong

[1]
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/YarnApplicationSecurity.html#Securing_Long-lived_YARN_Services
[2]
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/Superusers.html
[3]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rBLCpyQKg6Ld2P0DEgv4VIOMTwv4sitd7h7P5r202IE/edit?usp=sharing

Re: [DISCUSS] Flink Kerberos Improvement

Posted by Rong Rong <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tao,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Yes. I agree that the security
improvement should be properly applied on other cluster management systems
if designed properly.

I am not very familiar with the K8s security setup, but most of the changes
we proposal should be generic enough to apply to all resource management
systems.
Please kindly take a look at one of implementation [1] of another the
design initiative [2] we had. It would be great if you can provide any
additional comments or suggestions on that design doc as well.

Many Thanks,
Rong

[2]

回复:[DISCUSS] Flink Kerberos Improvement

Posted by "杨弢(杨弢)" <ya...@alibaba-inc.com>.
Hi, all!

Posted by Rong Rong <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephan,

This proposal is an extension of @shuyi's initial improvement specifically
to tackle Kerberos related issues.
However in order for this extension to work, some of the original
components proposed are required (such as the service provider pattern for
security factories).

Thanks,
Rong

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.