Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@houston.rr.com> on 2005/07/23 01:17:10 UTC

Another log4j 1.3 alpha?

log4j-1.3-alpha-6 is getting a little stale, but we have not made any
progress on cleaning up the API to release anything that I'd feel
comfortable calling a beta.  Any thoughts about releasing another
alpha in conjunction with upcoming log4j 1.2.12?

RE: Another log4j 1.3 alpha?

Posted by Mark Womack <wo...@adobe.com>.
I'll do another build of 1.3 alpha when we rc 1.2.12.  Any 1.2 changes
should be moved to the main branch before then, to keep them in sync.

I think we should continue with the alpha designation until we have reviewed
the api's and feel that they are "frozen".

And the 1.2.12 stuff should not stop anyone from looking at the bugs related
to 1.3.

-Mark

Re: Another log4j 1.3 alpha?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

RE: Another log4j 1.3 alpha?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@MIT.EDU>.
Hi,
I think we're being a little conservative: call the next one a beta, and
hopefully we'll get more user testing and feedback ;)  But either way a new
build is welcome.

The way we've been doing the release votes is duplicitous and slow: there
should be one vote, here on log4j-dev, and it should be short as in 72 hours
from start to finish.  But yes, we need a vote even for alpha/beta/rcs.

Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow
MIT Sloan School of Management
Cambridge, MA