Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by sankalp kohli <ko...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/30 18:51:30 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Cassandra Release Lifecycle

Hi,
    We have discussed in the email thread[1] about Apache Cassandra Release
Lifecycle. We came up with a doc[2] for it. Please vote on it if you agree
with the content of the doc[2].

Thanks,
Sankalp

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c610b23f9002978636b66d09f0e0481ed3de9b78895050da22c91c6f@%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bS6sr-HSrHFjZb0welife6Qx7u3ZDgRiAoENMLYlfz8/edit#heading=h.633eppni91tw

Re: [VOTE] Apache Cassandra Release Lifecycle

Posted by sankalp kohli <ko...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sumanth. Let me start another vote

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <su...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Scott!

Posted by Jordan West <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Andreas <sc...@paradoxica.net>.
There are two main benefits to agreeing on this:

1. Providing clarity for contributors on release phases – i.e., what types of changes are expected to land or be deferred during a particular point in that cycle.

2. Providing semantic clarity to users of Cassandra in terms of what they can expect from a given release.

The second one is more important. The document stands as a commitment between the Cassandra project and its users regarding what can be expected from each type of release. It defines GA releases as "recommended for production deployment for all users," setting a standard of quality that we aim to uphold together and that users can depend on. Affirming what it means for a release to be EOL, deprecated, or in maintenance signals importance of upgrading to a GA version.

The prerelease phases set expectations for us as contributors to produce a more stable release: what type of testing/validation is needed at what time, at which point interfaces/protocols solidify, when a release is considered feature complete, etc.

Posted by Stefan Podkowinski <sp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <su...@gmail.com>.
I made a couple of additional changes to the document based on the
comments, and there are a couple more that need to be addressed.

I will work on moving this document to cwiki.

Thanks,
Sumanth

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by sankalp kohli <ko...@gmail.com>.
Sure..lets do that.

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by sankalp kohli <ko...@gmail.com>.
Vote will be open for 72 hours.

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 12:09 PM Sumanth Pasupuleti <

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <su...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.
+1