Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Christopher Hamm <em...@christopherhamm.com> on 2016/01/06 23:19:59 UTC

NIFI connecting to Activemq

What am I doing wrong with hooking up my activemq jms get template? I put
stuff into the activeMQ and NIFI wont get it. Using 0.4.1.

--
Sincerely,
Chris Hamm

RE: NIFI connecting to Activemq

Posted by pr...@wipro.com.
Hi,

One non-intuitive step that is required in NiFi is that you have to log into the Nifi web UI and "start" the data flow for NiFi to start processing messages. To "start" the data flow, you have to press the red coloured "play" icon on the top of the web UI, located below the menu items. The URL for the web UI shows up in the logs/nifi-app.log file when the NiFi server starts.

I haven't tried with ActiveMQ and NiFi, but have tried reading a File, processing with NiFi and sending to Apache Spark. When I forget to press the "play" button, Spark is not even able to connect to NiFi.

Regards,
Prajod

Is there any error/feedback showing up in the UI or in the logs?

Thanks
Joe

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
This page provides some good examples to consider for your configuration

http://activemq.apache.org/uri-protocols.html

Posted by Christopher Hamm <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.
Well, you URL is malformed, since it should be of form protocol://host:port. Just look at any AMQ sample out there on the web. The part that worries me is the NPE and nothing in the logs. Did you try Joe's suggestion and enable Debug level logging?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 9, 2016, at 14:06, Christopher Hamm <em...@christopherhamm.com>> wrote:

Those logs came from a completely new restart with cleared logs.

If have an ActiveMQ topic setup. What should each field have in it if it is running locally and using port 61613? I think maybe the NPE is related to bad network connection with my activeMQ. Can't find examples out there.
<NiFi_Flow-GetJMSQueue.png>

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
Chris

Are you sure you are providing the correct logs? I can't see a single mention of JMS nor any stack traces which would definitely be there given what you see in UI.
Also, the fact that you see NPE is definitely a bug that we have to fix (user's should never see NPE), so that can be filed. What I am trying to figure out is the condition that triggers it. May be if you shut down NIFI, delete all the logs and restart so you can get a fresh data. . .

?

Posted by Christopher Hamm <em...@christopherhamm.com>.

Posted by Oleg Zhurakousky <oz...@hortonworks.com>.
Chris