Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Frank Rousseau <fr...@cozycloud.cc> on 2013/10/23 18:26:09 UTC

Cozy, a personal cloud you can host, hack and delete based on CouchDB

Hi all,

   We started Cozy because we were annoyed by the fact that our personal
data were spread among major cloud company silos. We wanted to take the
full potential out of our data without worrying about privacy issues.

To solve that, we built a personal PaaS that is simple to use and allows
everyone to host and build easily web
applications that collaborate around their personal data. The software
we chosed to store the data is CouchDB. Why  that? Because we want to :

* allow our user to backup their data super-easily
* allow our user to have data proxies on their device to keep on working
even when they are "offline".

Moreover we like the Document Store paradigm, so we really enjoyed using
CouchDB in our developments.
(see full architecture here:
http://cozy.io/hack/getting-started/architecture-overview.html)
NB: Today, we are working on a FUSE implementation to allow users to
access to their DB attachments like an usual filesystem.

About who is behind the project, it is supported by a startup, Cozy
Cloud, part of the Mozilla WebFWD accelerator (our business model is
based on professional services around the solution for hosting providers
and hardware manufacturers).

For your information, yesterday, we published our first release, name
"Snowden", as a tribute to the person the NSA hates the most! He
provided us with proofs of what we have suspected: the cloud is not a
paradise. It has helped us tremendously in explaining the benefits of
Cozy, we are grateful for his work.

If you want to give it a try, you will find informations in the links
below.
NB: This first version only includes the core module. The available
applications (contacts, calendar, photos...) still require some work.

Annoucement: http://cozy.io/v1-snowden-release/
Project website: http://cozy.io
Demo: https://demo.cozycloud.cc

If you see any way we could collaborate, we would be glad to hear from you!

Regards,

Frank Rousseau

--
twitter.com/mycozycloud
github.com/mycozycloud

Re: Cozy, a personal cloud you can host, hack and delete based on CouchDB

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Frank Rousseau <
frank.rousseau@cozycloud.cc> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   We started Cozy because we were annoyed by the fact that our personal
> data were spread among major cloud company silos. We wanted to take the
> full potential out of our data without worrying about privacy issues.

[...]

> For your information, yesterday, we published our first release, name
> "Snowden", as a tribute to the person the NSA hates the most!

Ode to "Snowden" Love it!

Re: Cozy, a personal cloud you can host, hack and delete based on CouchDB

Posted by Alexander Gabriel <al...@barbalex.ch>.
Awesome!
Alex

Am Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2013 schrieb Frank Rousseau :

> Hi all,
>
>   We started Cozy because we were annoyed by the fact that our personal
> data were spread among major cloud company silos. We wanted to take the
> full potential out of our data without worrying about privacy issues.
>
> To solve that, we built a personal PaaS that is simple to use and allows
> everyone to host and build easily web
> applications that collaborate around their personal data. The software we
> chosed to store the data is CouchDB. Why  that? Because we want to :
>
> * allow our user to backup their data super-easily
> * allow our user to have data proxies on their device to keep on working
> even when they are "offline".
>
> Moreover we like the Document Store paradigm, so we really enjoyed using
> CouchDB in our developments.
> (see full architecture here: http://cozy.io/hack/getting-**
> started/architecture-overview.**html<http://cozy.io/hack/getting-started/architecture-overview.html>
> )
> NB: Today, we are working on a FUSE implementation to allow users to
> access to their DB attachments like an usual filesystem.
>
> About who is behind the project, it is supported by a startup, Cozy Cloud,
> part of the Mozilla WebFWD accelerator (our business model is based on
> professional services around the solution for hosting providers and
> hardware manufacturers).
>
> For your information, yesterday, we published our first release, name
> "Snowden", as a tribute to the person the NSA hates the most! He provided
> us with proofs of what we have suspected: the cloud is not a paradise. It
> has helped us tremendously in explaining the benefits of Cozy, we are
> grateful for his work.
>
> If you want to give it a try, you will find informations in the links
> below.
> NB: This first version only includes the core module. The available
> applications (contacts, calendar, photos...) still require some work.
>
> Annoucement: http://cozy.io/v1-snowden-**release/<http://cozy.io/v1-snowden-release/>
> Project website: http://cozy.io
> Demo: https://demo.cozycloud.cc
>
> If you see any way we could collaborate, we would be glad to hear from you!
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank Rousseau
>
> --
> twitter.com/mycozycloud
> github.com/mycozycloud

Alexander Gabriel
Wiesenstrasse 22
8800 Thalwil
079/ 372 51 64
alex@barbalex.ch
www.barbalex.ch

RE: Cozy, a personal cloud you can host, hack and delete based on CouchDB

Posted by Jay Clark <jc...@maf.org>.
I'm curious to know if and how this compares to what http://refuge.io is trying to do.

This is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for posting!

Would you be interested in writing up a case study? If you do, we'll feature it prominently. This is good for you, as you get a bit of exposure, and it's good for us, because people learn how other people are using CouchDB.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: Cozy, a personal cloud you can host, hack and delete based on CouchDB

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater