Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com> on 2012/01/02 11:42:30 UTC

Re: Discussion: Potential Data Model Improvements

On 3/20/2011 3:33 AM, David E Jones wrote:
> I'm writing this to start a thread to discuss:
>
> If you could change ANYTHING in the OFBiz data model, what would it be?
>
> To kick this off here are some ideas I've compiled that have come up over the years (many based on feedback from people on this mailing list), or that I thought of recently will working on this topic. You can see them below...
>
> -David

> - Move most *Type entities to Enumeration values (update seed data, referring
>    entities, remove *Type) (after this remove all remaining hasTable fields)

I have been thinking about this one and I have come up with an idea. I
believe some of the *Type entities were meant to implement the entity
subtypes mentioned in The Data Model Resource book. In some cases, that
distinction is lost over time and the *Type entity contains values that
have nothing to do with subtyping the related entity. So, for the entity
subtype cases we could have something like an EntitySubtype entity, and
use a standard ID field name in all subtyped entities - like
entitySubTypeId. That approach could still be abused, but at least the
original intent of the id field can be preserved.

-Adrian

Re: Discussion: Potential Data Model Improvements

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:34 PM, pierre.smits@gmail.com wrote
> Indeed, doing cleanups in the data model is a major feat requiring
> awareness, focus and coordination.
> But not putting these improvement issues on the docket (roadmap) will
> ensure that the suggestions (discussion items) done in this thread will be
> overwhelmed by other threads and keep recurring as discussion topics not
> addressed.
> But also the perception of (potential) organisations, that investing in
> (the implementation of) OFBiz is a valid option, will wither and die.

I tend to agree

> After incorporating these improvement issues in the roadmap, associated
> JIRA issues can be created to discuss impact in detail, increase awareness
> of impact and dependencies, and integration can be planned. In stead of
> muddling along on the path where we are now.

We could discuss it again, but IIRW the path is:
1) Discuss ideas/concepts, define/refine requirements/data-models on dev ML (simply because it's faster and easier for most, if not all of us, at the ASF Jira and Confluence can be slow...)
2) Write them in Confluence
3) Open corresponding Jira issues (grouping them can help, how to group depends but sub-tasks sounds easier to me)

> If the community would embark on the endeavour regarding the cleanup the
> data model, services and ui aspects, it would warrant a new branch of trunk
> leading to new version of OFBiz.

Premature, we should before estimate who wants to do what, the bottleneck as always been the manpower.
I noted we should prune https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/New+Features+Roadmap+-+Living+Document
Future is still not a priority to me (hopefully soon). I'm still in cleaning and securing stuff.

> I believe that this could also recharge the community to interact more and
> even grow. Otherwise this project will not live long enough to celebrate a
> second decade.

It would be a pity.
Things like node.js and AKKA are quickly gaining interest (for good reasons).
Still all those lack what OFBiz framework has around it (even is not perfect).

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.