Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mike Austin <mi...@juggle.com> on 2012/03/14 19:52:52 UTC

Solr Memory Usage

I'm looking at the solr admin interface site.  On the dashboard right
panel, I see three sections with size numbers like 227MB(light),
124MB(darker), and 14MB(darkest).

I'm on a windows server.

Couple questions about what I see in the solr app admin interface:

- In the top right section of the dashboard, does the lightest color of the
three with a number of 227MB come from the Xmx256 heap max setting for java
that I set?  Is this the max limit for all my solr apps running on this
instance of tomcat?
- Is the 124MB in the middle slightly darker gray the Xms128 setting I set?
- Is the 47MB of the darkest section the memory of the current solr app
that I'm viewing details on?
- Does the 227mb and 124mb apply to all solr apps? For example if I go look
under solrapp1 it should have the same 227mb and 124mb numbers but a
different darker section number for the memory of the current solrapp that
I'm viewing?
- If the numbers for the Xms and Xmx are the same for all solr apps on this
tomcat instance however the bottom darker memory number is specific to the
app admin that I'm viewing, how do I see the total usage of all solr apps?
Is it under /manager/status? JVM section part with "Free memory: 110.16 MB
Total memory: 124.31 MB Max memory: 227.56 MB"?
- If the Xmx is the max memory allocated to the jvm for tomcat, what is the
Xms used for? Is it to hold memory to not be allocating often and what
happens if you go over that number?
- Also, in windows do the Xmx/Xms settings and memory usage for these solr
apps display in task manager under the memory usage of tomcat application?
Only?

Sorry for the many questions but after google searches and research by a
non-java expert, I am yet to have a clear answers to these questions.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Solr Memory Usage

Posted by Stefan Matheis <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Mike

Actually i'm not able to tell you what each value stands for .. but what i can tell you is, where the information is coming from.

The interface requests /admin/system which is using https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/handler/admin/SystemInfoHandler.java to generate all the values.

Hope that helps a bit,
Stefan