Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Rodney Schneider <ro...@actf.com.au> on 2002/10/16 03:28:35 UTC

Turbine community contributions

Hi all,

I just found these IRC logs yesterday and what I read explained a lot about
what has been going on in the Turbine community:
http://irc.werken.com/channels/turbine/

Essentially...  Jason, Jon, John, Daniel, Eric, Henning et. al. seem to have
different, possibly irreconcilable opinions about the future of Turbine, so
some of you seem to be pissed off, disillusioned and confused about what to
do.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

These three threads; "How Avalon might change Turbine", "Turbine 3 direction"
and "Turbine Road Map" also explained things:
http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=turbine-dev@jakarta.apache.org&by=thread&from=210342
http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=turbine-dev@jakarta.apache.org&from=208709&to=208709&count=42&by=thread&paged=false
http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=turbine-dev@jakarta.apache.org&by=thread&from=210179

I missed all of these discussions on turbine-dev as I was busy working on my
application and I wasn't subscribed to this list at the time.

It would be really helpful if each of the main Turbine committers could write
a short email to this list outlining their current position with respect to
contributing to Turbine.  I don't want to start a flame war or even start a
discussion about the future of Turbine.  There are many talented developers
using Turbine, and at least some would contribute if they knew what was going
on.  So, if you are a Turbine committer, please consider stating your
position.  Here's a starting point:
1. Are you busy elsewhere?  If so, will you continue contributing to Turbine?
2. Have you moved on (ie: permanently left the Turbine community)?
3. Will you resurface soon with an alternative to Turbine?
4. Will you help maintain Turbine 2.x in the future?

Anyway, after thinking about all this, I have decided that after I migrate my
application to TDK-2.2b3 (I've been a bit distracted the last couple of days)
and write the migration howto, I am going to work on the coupled
SecurityService rather than Henning's DBSecurityService proposal or the
current Fulcrum SecurityService as I am not overly confident that Fulcrum
will be around for very long after Jason has finished Plexus.

I figure that if I can get the coupled T2.2 services into a decent working
state, it won't matter what you guys decide to do with Fulcrum.  Then, at
least the people over on turbine-user will be able to upgrade to TDK-2.2 with
the decoupled Torque, which is a reasonably stable and maintainable codebase.
Am I completely crazy or am I making sense?

Once again, thanks for all the hard work you have put into Turbine over the
years!

Regards,

-- Rodney