Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Ian Holsman <ha...@holsman.net> on 2011/01/28 19:49:09 UTC

That append patch in 0.20

Hey guys.

I was speaking to some people a couple of nights ago, and we came up with an idea about it (which I'm sure has been mentioned before so apologies beforehand).

could we make append a configuration option. either at build or at run time.

that way we could let alot of the hbase users run off the same codebase and not have them patch it themselves.

sure.. we will still have the same testing issues, and debates on if it is stable or properly tested.. we can put big warning messages in the documentation on when people should be using it.. but at least they could get a regular build
and run it.

so.. the question to the experts.. can the append patch be made into a configuration option such that if people don't have it enabled it won't affect them.

Thanks for listening

--ian

Re: That append patch in 0.20

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Unfortunately the append branch changes things regardless of whether this
flag is set. So if you don't trust the branch with the config true, you
shouldn't trust it with the config false either.

That said, I trust it with it either value ;-)

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: That append patch in 0.20

Posted by Milind Bhandarkar <mb...@linkedin.com>.
Mmm...

Like this ?

<property>
  <name>dfs.support.append</name>
  <value>false</value>
  <description>Does HDFS allow appends to files?
               This is currently set to false because there are bugs in the
               "append code" and is not supported in any prodction cluster.
  </description>
</property>

It's there already.

- milind

On Jan 28, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> Hey guys.
>
> I was speaking to some people a couple of nights ago, and we came up with an idea about it (which I'm sure has been mentioned before so apologies beforehand).
>
> could we make append a configuration option. either at build or at run time.
>
> that way we could let alot of the hbase users run off the same codebase and not have them patch it themselves.
>
> sure.. we will still have the same testing issues, and debates on if it is stable or properly tested.. we can put big warning messages in the documentation on when people should be using it.. but at least they could get a regular build
> and run it.
>
> so.. the question to the experts.. can the append patch be made into a configuration option such that if people don't have it enabled it won't affect them.
>
> Thanks for listening
>
> --ian

---
Milind Bhandarkar
mbhandarkar@linkedin.com

Re: That append patch in 0.20

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> From: Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>
[...]
> Folks are welcome to port it on top of branch-0.20-security
> too. I believe that has been done by some hbase folks too.

We ported 0.20-append patches on top of Y! 0.20.100.3:

   https://github.com/trendmicro/hadoop-common

but stopped at HDFS-1346. This was head of 0.20-append around the time the CDH3B3 came out, when we moved to that.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back.
  - Piet Hein (via Tom White)

Re: That append patch in 0.20

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Just call a vote on a release on the branch-0.20-append branch and we
are done.

Folks are welcome to port it on top of branch-0.20-security too. I
believe that has been done by some hbase folks too.

Arun

Re: That append patch in 0.20

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
Which patch are you referring to?

There's a whole branch to support sync on 20:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.20-append

In this branch dfs.support.append defaults to true (see HDFS-1254),
this configuration has been tested by quite a few people.

Thanks,
Eli