Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stephen Davis <su...@soundgeek.org> on 2006/04/18 23:37:57 UTC

svn:// server "deaf" on OS X?

I'm just doing a little testing and I set up an svnserve process on
OS X 10.4.6 (using svn 1.3.1 built from the tarball) and it appears
to be "deaf" to clients on other machines.  Accessing the server from
the same machine works fine.

The goal was to set up a read-only svn:// server just to test some
build automation stuff (build slaves have no need to modify the repo).

svnadmin create /tmp/svn
svn mkdir file:///tmp/svn/trunk		[just so there's something in there]
svn mkdir file:///tmp/svn/branches
svn mkdir file:///tmp/svn/tags

cd /tmp/svn/conf/
	- edit svnserve.conf
		[general]
		password-db = passwd
		authz-db = authz
		realm = Test

	- edit authz
		[/]
		theman = r
		* =

	- edit passwd
		[users]
		theman = somepasswd

# launch the server
svnserve -d -r /Volumes/Test			# /svn is the only folder on the Test
volume

# from the same machine
svn ls svn://chess.domain.com/svn
branches/
tags/
trunk/

# from any other machines (tried two on the same network)
svn ls svn://chess.domain.com/svn/
... looooong pause ...
svn: Can't connect to host 'chess.domain.com': Operation timed out

If I look at netstat to see if anything is going on, I see this on
the server:

tcp46	0		0	*.svn				*.*				LISTEN

I tried adding "--listen-host=chess.domain.com" and that changed the
netstat entry but it didn't change the behavior.

tcp4		0		0	chess.svn			*.*				LISTEN

If I look at the client with netstat after issuing the "ls" command,
I see:

tcp4		0		0	other.domain.com	chess.domain.com.svn	SYN_SENT

There is no indication of activity on the server that any sort of
network connection has been made.

Is this familiar to anyone?  I ran the svnserve process in the
foreground but nothing got spit out.  Are there any useful things I
can do to gather more information?

thanks,
stephen