Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Janine Sisk <ja...@furfly.net> on 2006/03/16 06:49:53 UTC

"Authorization failed" stops me in my tracks

Ok, I'm feeling really stupid about now, but I'm also stuck.

I'm setting up my laptop (OS X) to work on a personal project.
Thought I would give subversion a try.  So I installed it and created
my repository.  All seemed fine.  Then I tried to create a directory,
and I ran into a brick wall;  I kept getting an "Authorization
failed"  error.  I can't see any reason for this;  I own the
repository, I own the working directory, I've got admin rights on the
system... I can't imagine what's failing.  I tried the --username and
--pasword args, but that didn't help either.

I have googled and read documentation and I can't see any steps I'm
missing.  I'm using svnserve and it is running (otherwise I wouldn't
have gotten as far as I did).

Here's a (very shortened) roadmap of my journey...

We start out well:

svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /Users/janine/Repos

But don't get very far:

svn mkdir -m "create trunk dir" svn://localhost/Users/janine/Repos/trunk
svn: Authorization failed

Ok, mkdir's not working that way, let's try it the two-step way:

cd working
svn co svn://localhost/Users/janine/Repos
Checked out revision 0.
cd Repos
svn mkdir trunk
A         trunk
svn commit -m "create trunk dir"
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Authorization failed

Nope.  Ok, let's try something I found in a Linux howto when
searching for any possible clues to this problem:

cd ..
rm -rf Repos
svn co svn://localhost/Users/janine/Repos
Checked out revision 0.
cd Repos
mkdir trunk
svn import -m "create trunk dir" /Users/janine/working/Repos file:///
Users/janine/Repos
Adding         /Users/janine/working/Repos/trunk
Skipped '/Users/janine/working/Repos/.svn'

Committed revision 1.

Hey, it worked!  Ok, now let's import some files and see if we can
work with them:

cd ..
rm -rf Repos
svn co svn://localhost/Users/janine/Repos
A    Repos/trunk
Checked out revision 1.
cd Repos/trunk
cp -pr ../../../working.tmp/Hello .
svn import -m "initial import" /Users/janine/working/Repos/trunk
file:///Users/janine/Repos/trunk
Adding         /Users/janine/working/Repos/trunk/Hello
<snip list of files>
Skipped '/Users/janine/working/Repos/trunk/.svn'

Committed revision 2.

So far, so good....

cd ..
rm -rf Repos
svn co svn://localhost/Users/janine/Repos/trunk/Hello
cd Hello/Main.wo
<modify Main.html via Xcode>
svn commit -m "first exercise"
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Authorization failed

Argh!  Now I'm stuck;  there's no workaround for committing as far as
I know. :)

Any suggestions out there?

thanks,

janine

Re: "Authorization failed" stops me in my tracks

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 3/15/06, Janine Sisk <ja...@furfly.net> wrote:

> One thing still confuses me - why was I able to do an import if I
> didn't have write access???

Because you imported to a file:// URL.  The svnserve.conf file is only
needed when you're using svn:// URLs.

-garrett

Re: "Authorization failed" stops me in my tracks

Posted by Janine Sisk <ja...@furfly.net>.
Yep, that was it.  I'm amazed that there weren't more posts out there
about this.  I have two different books on Subversion and although
they both do talk about this file, neither of them mention it in the
"getting started" section so I missed it completely.  I guess I must
be unusually blind.

One thing still confuses me - why was I able to do an import if I
didn't have write access???

Thanks a lot for your help,

janine

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.