Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de> on 1997/09/03 12:06:07 UTC

[BUG] with libos.a on one of my platforms

src/unix/os.c is an empty file (which gives me a warning when I even
compile it:
    [warning]:      Empty or useless translation unit

But with Paul's latest change to libos.a, another bug has manifested:
My linker complains while linking httpd:

> cc -kansi  -L/usr/lib ... -o httpd buildmark.o ...
>
> ld: /home/martin/pgtm0035/apachen/src/os/unix/libos.a: libelf error: elf_getarsym:
>
> Make: *** [httpd] Error 1

Creating any object in os.c, like e.g.,
    char compiled_today[] = __DATE__;

and then Make'ing fixes this bug.IMHO, it's a compiler/linker bug, but
if it's this easy to circumvent, why not add such a dummy symbol. We
could even call it SERVER_BUILT and adapt the buildmark logic, or add
buildmark.o to os/unix/libos.a

Yes, adding buildmark.o to os/unix/libos.a fixes this linker bug (even
when both buildmark.o and os/unix/libos.a are fed to the linker).

Any suggestions how to resolve this problem?

    Martin