Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> on 2009/10/06 17:49:50 UTC

Re: svn commit: r39805 - in trunk/subversion: svnlook tests/cmdline

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 7:46 PM, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
> Author: cmpilato
> Date: Tue Oct  6 08:46:26 2009
> New Revision: 39805
>
> Log:
> Finish issue #3509 - Add support for 'svnlook filesize' subcommand.

Hi Michael,

What do you think about 'svnlook size' subcommand which will show file
size for files and directory size for directories?

--
Ivan Zhakov
VisualSVN Team

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2404232

Re: svn commit: r39805 - in trunk/subversion: svnlook tests/cmdline

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Ivan Zhakov wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
>> Ivan Zhakov wrote:

>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> What do you think about 'svnlook size' subcommand which will show file
>>> size for files and directory size for directories?
>> What's the definition of a directory's size?  Number of entries?  And what's
>> the use-case?
>>
> Size of all files and subdirectories. Use case is similar to size
> files: quickly look and check size of directory in pre-commit hook for
> example.

Ah.  So by "size of a directory" you mean "the sum of all files in and under
that directory", then.

I understand wanting to check the sizes of individual files in a pre-commit
hook, perhaps to validate against a policy that says you aren't allowed to
dump massive files into the VC system.  And I'm aware of shops that have
policies against dumping massive *numbers* of files into a single directory
in their VC system.  But I've never heard of any rules against keeping the
aggregate file size across a directory tree below some threshold.  Though, I
suppose it could be used by Subversion hosting shops as a form of
per-project quota management.

*shrug*

If someone (like yourself) wants to make that change, that's fine with me.
I guess I could foresee someone wanting a few changes along these lines:

1.  supporting multiple PATH_IN_REPOS arguments, and displaying the sum of
    all the files listed:

    $ svnlook filesize /path/to/repos /trunk/somefile.c /trunk/README
    1457

2.  supporting a --verbose (-v) flag which printed each file
    on a line by itself and then a summary line:

    $ svnlook filesize -v /path/to/repos /trunk/somefile.c /trunk/README
             456  /trunk/somefile.c
            1001  /trunk/README
            1457  TOTAL

3.  supporting the -R flag which causes the program to not complain
    about directories, and instead recurse into them.  (And which can
    be used with -v and with multiple PATH_IN_REPOS arguments, too.)

    $ svnlook filesize -R /path/to/repos /trunk
    27146
    $ svnlook filesize -R -v /path/to/repos /trunk
             456  /trunk/somefile.c
            1001  /trunk/README
           25689  /trunk/ChangeLog
           27146  TOTAL

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2404248

Re: svn commit: r39805 - in trunk/subversion: svnlook tests/cmdline

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2404241

Re: svn commit: r39805 - in trunk/subversion: svnlook tests/cmdline

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2404237