Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2018/08/10 19:03:47 UTC

Windows Service Weirdness

Re: Windows Service Weirdness

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 11, 2018, 12:33 AM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> Did something change with Windows recently?
>
> On this list and on SO there seem to be lots of questions about
> "Tomcat not releasing ports".
>
> Examples:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51764300/tomcat-8-does-not-release-p
> ort-80-at-restart-on-windows
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51764300/tomcat-8-does-not-release-port-80-at-restart-on-windows>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51791717/tomcat-8-will-not-startup-o
> n-free-port
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51791717/tomcat-8-will-not-startup-on-free-port>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51773720/windows-keeping-port-locked
> - -after-shutting-down-tomcat
>
> The symptoms all seem to be the same: Tomcat starts, stops, but then
> won't restart using the same selection of ports. "netstat" shows that
> the ports are available, but launching Tomcat encounters a failure
> during port-binding.
>
> I don't have an environment in which to test this (I'm allergic to
> Windows), but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has seen anything
> like this, or if it's just very common to misconfigure Tomcat in some
> specific way (e.g. declaring two `<Connector>` elements with the same
> port number).
>
> - -chris

Yes, Chris. Recently Microsoft released July security patches for Windows
OS. Now some of those patches are "buggy". After applying them, we started
seeing lots of TCP port conflict issues. In our case, Apache httpd as well
as Tomcats were affected. Symptoms matches what you mentioned in the mail.
netstat will show ports are free but TC will not be able to bind to it. So,
we decided to uninstall those patches and after that everything came back
to normal. Here is some details:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3290465/microsoft-windows/stung-by-a-festering-pile-of-bugs-on-patch-tuesday-ms-releases-27-more-patches.html

To fix this issues, MS has released another set of patches. :)

Can you please ask the affected users to uninstall July security patches
and try again?

Thanks!
Suvendu