Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by Vince McNamara <vi...@dahu.co.uk> on 2016/04/25 13:50:30 UTC

SMBException not handled during crawl of Windows share

Hi,

I’m trying to crawl/index a large Windows file share using the JCIFS 1.3.18 library (MCF version 2.0.1 in Datafari 2.2).

The MCF job quits with this error :-

Error: SmbException thrown: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Looking at the exception handling in SharedDriveConnector.java, it looks like this particular error case is not handled, but I would expect it to arise fairly frequently when crawling over Windows shares - it is not possible to know in advance which files are going to be held open by users when the crawl tries to access them.

Before trying to change the code, can I check if this is a known issue and if there’s an existing work-around?

Thanks a lot

Vince

Re: SMBException not handled during crawl of Windows share

Posted by Vince McNamara <vi...@dahu.co.uk>.
Thanks a lot Karl - that seems to be doing the trick.

Cheers

Vince

Posted by Dan Davis <da...@gmail.com>.
But, this is also somewhat addressable by Windows configuration.   You
could configure a snapshot, mount the snapshot somewhere else, etc.   That
is possible with most NAS storage, and may also be possible with Windows
Server.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.