Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com> on 2005/02/09 20:49:14 UTC

[jxpath] one-size-fits-all "eval"?

Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:

>Jess,
>
>First of all, this discussion is probably better suited to the commons-user mailing list.

Sorry, you're right -- I crossed a line with this follow on question.

>As far as your specific questions are concerned, getValue() will always return a primitive value (Number, Boolean or String) when applied to DOM.  selectSingleNode() will return either a primitive value or a DOM Node.

I really need to efficiently return a primitive or a
node-set/list/iterator as most appropriate, i.e. my callers pass an
XPath expression and they get back the most appropriate object from
these possibilities.  I don't mind having to write a few lines of code
to do this -- as long as it is efficient, e.g. doing the whole eval a
couple times to see what's what is a non-starter.  Along these lines I
looked at calling iterate() instead, but it just returns an Iterator --
which does not nicely cover the use case without starting to iterate
over the iterator.

If this is doable with JXPath, great -- I will give it a shot given some
guidance.  If not, then it won't fit under the wrapper API I wrote and
use of JXPath would thus be only for new callers if/when need arose.

Re: [jxpath] one-size-fits-all "eval"?

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Ooops.  I meant to type "commons-user"...

Correcting now.

--
Jess Holle