Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> on 2019/11/30 12:47:56 UTC

[Collection] adding Codec dependency?

Greetings,

I have a contribution[1] that requires a Murmur128 hash.  The options are
add the hash and associated tests to the Collections classes or use the
Murmur hash found in the Commons Codec project.

In the contribution I elected to go with adding the dependency on the codec
1.14 version.[2]  However, this is currently a SNAPSHOT version and will
block the release of Collections until Codec releases.

Are there any opinions on how to proceed so that the contribution can  be
accepted?

Any opinions on the contribution as a whole?

Thank you for your attention,
Claude

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-728?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=16985141
[2] https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/pull/83

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [Collection] adding Codec dependency?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 at 12:54, Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> wrote:

> The contribution would work without the Murmur hash but losing it means no
> Murmur based hashes in the factory methods.  There are work arounds for
> this, but all are a bit messy.
>
> It might be possible to clean it up a bit by creating a HashFunction
> class/interface that could be used to crate the Hasher implementations
> rather than the name and function that is currently used.  Then it might be
> much easier for integrators to implement other hash functions.

That seems like a win all round.

Would Java Service Provider Interface be appropriate here?

I could make it an optional dependency.

+1

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.