Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sylvain Goulmy <sy...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/18 14:30:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.4 create a huge amount of shared memory segments

I'm currently working on a migration from Apache 2.2 to 2.4 (2.4.10). I'm
facing an issue with the usage of proxy_balancer with Apache 2.4. They now
require the mod_slotmem_shm.so module to work correctly.

I have added this module but i noticed that a single proxy_balancer now
creates many memory shared segments on the OS. The problem is that my
configuration declares many proxy_balancer (nearly 100), actually i soon as
i declare more that 10 proxy balancers, i encountered this error :

    [proxy_balancer:emerg] [pid 1430:tid 140583699289856] (28)No space left
on device: AH01185: worker slotmem_create failed

After many investigation i finally identified that the shared memory
segment is the ressource exceeded which raises that error.

On my OS (RHEL 6.4), i have the following configuration :

    ------ Shared Memory Limits --------
    max number of segments = 4096
    max seg size (kbytes) = 67108864
    max total shared memory (kbytes) = 17179869184
    min seg size (bytes) = 1

I also noticed that a single proxy_balancer creates almost 350 shm on the
system.

Is it normal that a single proxy_balancer creates so many shm ?

Do i really have to increase the memory segment on my system in huge
proportion to handle all my proxy_balancers ?

Am i missing something ? :)

Thanks in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.4 create a huge amount of shared memory segments

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
So is the main issue the amount of shm used, right?

Posted by Sylvain Goulmy <sy...@gmail.com>.
I also forgot to mention that i have set the BalancerInherit to Off before
behaviour.

Sylvain

Posted by Sylvain Goulmy <sy...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your feeback, i guess i have to review the whole
configuration design in the migration process and move balancer definitions
in vhost section.

Regards.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Sylvain Goulmy <sy...@gmail.com>.
Yann,

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sylvain,

Posted by Sylvain Goulmy <sy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yann,

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you can manage to recompile the APR library used by your Apache 2.4
> (you probably did that already since 2.4 does not seem to be the
> version packaged with RHEL 6.4), you can use "./configure
> --enable-posix-shm ..." to use another shared memory mechanism than
> the default one (IPC SysV) which is limited to 32K segments (system
> wide).
> The number of segments would then be limited by the usual number of
> file descriptors per process (ulimit -n).
>
> Unfortunately, there no equivalent to the Mutex directive for shared
> memories, this can't be changed by httpd's configuration (as far as I
> know).

Oups, this leading part was not meant to be sent, and is rephrased
anyway below according to message, more accurately.
Please ignore it...

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.