Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org> on 2018/04/24 22:56:22 UTC

Process for backports?

is asking to backport a change to the 2.3 branch.

My questions

- In general are there any concerns about what qualifies for backporting?
This adds a configuration variable but shouldn't change default behavior.

- Is a separate jira + pr actually necessary?
Seems like the merge_spark_pr.py script is set up to handle cherry
picking the original merged PR in a case like this.

Re: Process for backports?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
This is pretty much standard semantic versioning: https://semver.org/
Maintenance branch releases are for bug fixes; minor releases have new features.
Of course at some level it all depends on judgment, too.

Re: Process for backports?

Posted by venkat_20 <lk...@gmail.com>.
Can you please elaborate why don't backport of features is not allowed?

Re: Process for backports?

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
1. We don't backport features.

2. In general we don't bump dependencies, unless they are for critical bug
fixes.

3. We weight the risk of new regression vs bug fixes. To state the obvious,
we wouldn't backport a bug fix if it only affects a very small number of
use cases but require very complex changes. There is huge gray zone in
between here that'd rely on committer's judgement.