Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Hitesh Kr. Seth" <hi...@seranova.com> on 2000/02/01 16:51:55 UTC

Tomcat and Custom Tags

Greetings

My Environment is
Windows NT Server 4.0/SP4/Tomcat 3.0 StandAlone/JDK 1.2.2

I am getting the following error message when I execute the Custom Tag
example
with Tomcat (http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/simpletag/foo.jsp).

Error: 500
try to access class com.sun.xml.tree.ParentNode from class
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl

Do I need to put Sun's Parser into Tomcat path or something?

Here is the error message from the Tomcat Execution Window

Unhandled error! You might want to consider having an error page to report
such
errors more gracefully
java.lang.IllegalAccessError: try to access class
com.sun.xml.tree.ParentNode fr
om class org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoIm
pl.java:157)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspParseEventListener.handleDirective(JspP
arseEventListener.java:648)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DelegatingListener.handleDirective(Delegat
ingListener.java:110)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser$Directive.accept(Parser.java:188)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:984)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:959)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:955)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:140)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspLoader.loadJSP(JspLoader.java:226)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessar
y(JspServlet.java:137)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspSer
vlet.java:148)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:2
47)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:352)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServiceInvocationHandler.method(ServletWrapper
.java:626)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleInvocation(ServletWrapper
.java:534)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.ja
va:378)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Context.handleRequest(Context.java:644)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:440
)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnectio
n(HttpConnectionHandler.java:144)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(TcpEndpoint.java:30
4)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Best Regards

Hitesh Kr. Seth

Re: Tomcat and Custom Tags

Posted by "Hitesh Kr. Seth" <hi...@seranova.com>.
Greetings

It is. Danno Ferrin just replied to me with the URL of the specific
FAQ.

Also, just wanted to let you know that, I was successfully able
to rebuild tomcat and the tag example is working fine.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best Regards

Hitesh Kr. Seth.

Re: Tomcat and Custom Tags

Posted by Tim Fox <ti...@hyperlink.com>.
"Hitesh Kr. Seth" wrote:

> I am getting the following error message when I execute the Custom Tag
> example
> with Tomcat (http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/simpletag/foo.jsp).
>
> Error: 500
> try to access class com.sun.xml.tree.ParentNode from class
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl

(This one comes up again and again - suggestion - maybe it should go on the
faqs?)

Problem is due to the binary release of tomcat (some mismatch in class files),
you need to get the source from apache and build it yourself (don't worry - this
is easy).

> Do I need to put Sun's Parser into Tomcat path or something?

No, you wouldn't get that message if it couldn't find the class.

Hope that helps

--
Tim Fox (¦¬o)

Hyperlink plc