Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2007/08/29 00:38:32 UTC

Motion for vote from EC

Today, I was finally able to send a refactored motion to the JCP EC
for an electronic vote.  The original intention was to have two
motions, but on further consideration and discussion w/ other EC
members, it became clear that we'd be better served with a clear
statement, which was as follows :

  - o -

This is a very important issue and the proposers of this motion
recommend that each EC member use the ballot period to review this
question within their respective companies and get whatever business or
legal opinions they feel that they need to get in order to come back
with a firm position.

Motion:  We move that the ECs adopt the following statement: "TCK
licenses must not be used to discriminate against or restrict compatible
implementations of Java specifications by including field of use
restrictions on the tested implementations or otherwise.  Licenses
containing such limitations do not meet the requirements of the JSPA,
the agreement under which the JCP operates, and violate the expectations
of the Java community that JCP specs can be openly implemented."

Please vote yes, no or abstain.

  - o -

geir