Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> on 2002/03/09 15:57:50 UTC

[FYI] Success Story - Cocoon-based Web-CMS with Vignette-Integration

We developed in a big project roughly spanning the past 1,5 years a
Java-based Web Content Management System using Cocoon 2 with
Vignette-Integration.

The result of the first development phase (the live website) you can see
at
http://www.gruene-fraktion.de (german). The System was developed by
gedas for the 'parliamentary faction of Bündnis90/Die Grünen' (the
German Green Party).

Some technical/architectional information:
 - The live-site is powerd by a farm of 5 web-/application and database
servers
 - The whole Live-Website is generated by Cocoon 2.0.1
 - The data (metadata, XML/XHTML-Fragments, Image data) is stored in a
relational database
 - Each page delivery consists af a bunch of complex aggregated
XSP-Pages using ESQL, transformed with XSLT-Stylesheets for different
layouts
 - Output is done in HTML, HTML Print version, PDF, RTF, Text (all
generated from the same content) and JPEGs (for graphical menus). (In
the live-site you will see at this moment only HTML output - the other
formats are used live in the near future).
 - For some reasons the caching mechanisms of Cocoon where not used but
it was decided to run this high-traffic Website on Vignette, using the
Vignette-Caching-Mechanisms.
 - Vignette is used for some other special community-features like
Online-Voting
 - The Content Management System itself is a traditional JSP/Java-Based
n-tiered System running in IE5 and higher and Netscacpe 4.7 and higher,
using a java applet for authoring formatted XHTML fragements. Some
additional feaures: Complex User Roles, simple Workflow,
Image+Link-Management etc.
 - A sort of 'cache manager daemon' does on-demand-regeneration of
changed pages
 - The system supports the administration of several sites in the same
web farm with completely different layouts
 - The system is used by up to 200 editors who can edit content -
without having to know anything about HTML or XML.

In late 2000 we took a first look at Cocoon 1 and did some prototyping
and implemented the system using Cocoon 2 since it reached first beta.
We were very impressed by the features and architecture of cocoon. The
first architecture was planned as a vignette-only website, but because
the lack of sufficient XML-support in Vignette (and other reasons) we
decided to use Cocoon as core system and Vignette only for caching and
cluster management and never looked back!

Using the sitemap-concept of Cocoon 2 it was very easy to implement the
cryptic Vignette URL syntax like "..xyz/0,938,123,00.htm" and Vignette
Integration was made very easy.

Thanks to all developers maintaining and extending cocoon!
Its an excellent system! (some wishes, of course, remain)

The Content Managemenet System itself is unfortunately closed-souce, but
perhaps we can give some of our cocoon-related know-how as 'power-user'
back to the community in the future.

Stefan

Re: [FYI] Success Story - Cocoon-based Web-CMS with Vignette-Integration

Posted by Michael Wechner <co...@wyona.org>.
Attend the
First Annual Open Source Content Management Systems Conference
on March 21-22, Zurich, Switzerland

http://conference.wyona.org

Maybe you will discover a way to

>give some of your cocoon-related know-how as 'power-user'
>back to the community in the future

faster than you expected:-}

All the best

Michael

Posted by Thorsten Daum <th...@stny.rr.com>.
On Saturday 09 March 2002 09:57, you wrote:
> We developed in a big project roughly spanning the past 1,5 years a
> Java-based Web Content Management System using Cocoon 2 with
> Vignette-Integration.

> The result of the first development phase (the live website) you can see
> at http://www.gruene-fraktion.de (german). The System was developed by
> gedas for the 'parliamentary faction of Bündnis90/Die Grünen' (the
> German Green Party).

Great showcase for Cocoon! Congrats!

> Some technical/architectional information:
[...]
>  - The whole Live-Website is generated by Cocoon 2.0.1
[...]
>  - The Content Management System itself is a traditional JSP/Java-Based
> n-tiered System [...]

I am curious: Vignette bills itself as a CMS solution, yet it seems you did
not use Vignette for CMS? Care to eleborate (not withstandding your licensing
constraints, of course ;-)) ?

>  - The system is used by up to 200 editors who can edit content -
> without having to know anything about HTML or XML.

Just FYI, it seems you content contributors can generate links that are based
on syntactically invalid URLs. E.g., there is a link to "http://surf.to\elbe"
on http://www.gruene-fraktion.de/rsvgn/rs_dok/0,,788,00.htm

Again, congratulations!

Thorsten

Re: [FYI] Success Story - Cocoon-based Web-CMS with Vignette-Integration

Posted by Olivier Rossel <ol...@anyware-tech.com>.
Stefan Seifert wrote:

> [...]
>and implemented the system using Cocoon 2 since it reached first beta.
>We were very impressed by the features and architecture of cocoon. The
>first architecture was planned as a vignette-only website, but because
>the lack of sufficient XML-support in Vignette (and other reasons) we
>decided to use Cocoon as core system and Vignette only for caching and
>cluster management and never looked back!
>
>Using the sitemap-concept of Cocoon 2 it was very easy to implement the
>cryptic Vignette URL syntax like "..xyz/0,938,123,00.htm" and Vignette
>Integration was made very easy.
>
>Thanks to all developers maintaining and extending cocoon!
>Its an excellent system! (some wishes, of course, remain)
>
>The Content Managemenet System itself is unfortunately closed-souce, but
>perhaps we can give some of our cocoon-related know-how as 'power-user'

It sounds an impressive job.
I wonder if you developped your own X(HT)ML authoring applet?
I think this is the component that Cocoon is lacking for further
evolutions in CMS applications.
Q42.nl plans to open-source version2 of their product.
XXE is a GREAT editor, but license is quite hard to manage with.
Your applet solution (if open-sourcing things is planned on your side)
would be great.