Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by art yakuba <ak...@yahoo.com> on 2010/03/18 18:52:06 UTC

Message Groups under failover

I have questions surrounding message groups and their behaviour under
failover:

My configuration:
* 2 brokers (A & B) connected to each other using a network connector. Both
brokers define a queue called TEST_Q.
* BrokerA and BrokerB have their own slave broker (SlaveBrokerA and
SlaveBrokerB).
* A producing client sends messages to TEST_Q either on BrokerA or BrokerB
using a failover uri.
  The producer attaches a group id (JMSXGroupId) to each JMS message.
* Each broker has  3 consumers.

The scenario:
Say the producer is connected to a TEST_Q on BrokerA and produces 10,000
messages all for group "GROUP01" - so 1 consumer (say consumer01) is
selected to handle all 10K messages.

Say consumer01 has ACK'd 9K messages and 1K messages are still pending on
BrokerA...

My questions:
1:  If BrokerA dies part-way through consuming these 1K messages, we
failover successfully to its slave.
- Can I guarantee that messages coming off TEST_Q hosted on SlaveBrokerA are
ordered ?
- Can I guaranatee that the message grouping is still honored i.e are
failover messages still pinned to consumer01 ?

2: What happens if consumer01 has processed 800 of the 1K messages from
SlaveBrokerA, but the producer sends more messages for that group
(GROUP01)... will consumer01 be pinned to these new messages as well ? Of
course the producer has failed over to BrokerB.

Many thanks.