Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Arun Tewatia <ar...@orkash.com> on 2011/02/01 13:48:33 UTC

Re: UIMA-AS source files not compiling at runtime

Hi all,

I am trying to run UIMA-AS from command line.

When I make any changes to source file of Collection Reader in eclipse and try
to run it.
The new changed source file is compiled and new .class file is generated.

But when i try to run the same using UIMA-AS from command line.
It gives above said error.
If I compile the source file from eclipse and place the .class file at
appropriate classpath.
It works fine. Now if I want to make changes to source file of collection
reader.
Then i have to again compile it using eclipse or else changes wont reflect.
I use following commands.....

Start Broker
/home/apache-uima/bin/startBroker.sh

Deploy service
/home/apache-uima/bin/deployAsyncService.sh examples/deploy/as/Deploy_UIMA.xml
-brokerURL tcp://ws28-arun-lin:61616

Run client
/home/apache-uima/bin/runRemoteAsyncAE.sh tcp://ws28-arun-lin:61616 UIMAQueue
-c /home/apache-uima/collection_reader/DBCollectionReader.xml

-Arun Tewatia

Re: UIMA-AS source files not compiling at runtime

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
UIMA runs compiled Java code. You'll need to compile the code before
trying to run it.

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.

FWIW I usually develop under Eclipse and let it compile as usual.  Then when
I run from the command line I include the Eclipse-created classes in the
classpath.  e.g. for 2 projects in $HOMEDIR and $FACTDIR and after setting a
few environment variables such as UIMA_HOME ...

export UIMA_LOGGER_CONFIG_FILE=iodLogger.properties
export UIMA_CLASSPATH=$HOMEDIR/bin:$FACTDIR/bin
export
UIMA_DATAPATH=$HOMEDIR/descriptors:$FACTDIR/desc/typesystem;$FACTDIR/desc
runRemoteAsyncAE.sh $BROKERURL $QUEUENAME -c
descriptors/IODCollectionSetup.xml -d descriptors/deploy-${QUEUENAME}.xml -p

Note that the -d option lets you skip the deployAsyncService step.

-Burn.

Re: UIMA-AS source files not compiling at runtime

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Maybe there's a misconception.

Running UIMA from the command line will not run the Java compile against your
changed Collection Reader source code - this is how it is designed to work.

You have to have some other method (Eclipse, or running a command to compile the
Java source changes using a Java compiler of your choice), and have the
resulting class file available to UIMA in the runtime classpath.

Sorry if I've misunderstood the issue.

-Marshall