Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io> on 2016/03/21 23:50:26 UTC

Replacement of System environment variable GEMFIRE

Hi there.

There seems to be some reliance of the GEMFIRE system environment variable.
Would we not want to change this to GEODE or maybe GEODE_HOME?

--Udo

Re: Replacement of System environment variable GEMFIRE

Posted by Kirk Lund <ki...@gmail.com>.
GEMFIRE_HOME was used primarily to avoid having to require that the user
set a CLASSPATH. Some of the code may have relied on walking backwards from
a shell script to discover the GEMFIRE_HOME and its jar files.

It's also used in documentation to facilitate talking about the root of a
GEMFIRE installation.

I *think* we could do away with it entirely (and I'd prefer that).

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for GEODE_HOME

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for GEODE_HOME

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <uk...@pivotal.io>.
Quickly searching through the code base it seems to be mainly used in:

  * Pulse
  * REST
  * GFSH

But I imagine that it might pop up in other places as well.

--Udo

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.