Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shawn Wilson <sh...@atmreports.com> on 2002/12/03 00:01:33 UTC

Re: Admin Webapp Problems (WAS: MBean server?)

Okay, this was just dumb on my part. When I installed Tomcat I installed
the tomcat-noexamples and tomcat-admin RPM's. However, I noticed that
installing Tomcat on a different machine (with examples), the first
section in the server.xml file having to do with (believe it or not!)
MBean server was not commented out like it was in the noexamples
server.xml file. So basically that's all the problem was... if I had
looked at server.xml more closely sooner I could have saved myself lots
of frustration!

Thanks for all the help,
-shawn

Posted by Felipe Schnack <fe...@ritterdosreis.br>.
  What is the MBean server?

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 21:01, Shawn Wilson wrote:
> Okay, this was just dumb on my part. When I installed Tomcat I installed
> the tomcat-noexamples and tomcat-admin RPM's. However, I noticed that
> installing Tomcat on a different machine (with examples), the first
> section in the server.xml file having to do with (believe it or not!)
> MBean server was not commented out like it was in the noexamples
> server.xml file. So basically that's all the problem was... if I had
> looked at server.xml more closely sooner I could have saved myself lots
> of frustration!
>
> Thanks for all the help,
> -shawn
>
> Jacob Kjome wrote:
> > Hi Shawn,
> >
> > I'd recommend installing the full non-RPM version that includes all necessary
> > jars.  In that version, you will see the following files in
> > common/endorsed:
> >
> > xercesImpl.jar
> > xmlParserAPIs.jar
> >
> > What Bill says it correct, though.  The Xerces version that come with
> > Tomcat causes problems with Struts apps because of an XML parsing bug
> > in Xerces which was recently fixed.  You can either do as he says and
> > contain the fix:
> > http://gump.covalent.net/jars/latest/xml-xerces2/
> >

> > Otherwise, you could also check the xml commons to grab a
> > xml-commons-api's jar that contains an earlier version of the xerces
> > packages equivalent to the 2.1.0 release.
> > http://xml.apache.org/commons/
> >

> > Jake
> >

> > Tuesday, November 26, 2002, 10:05:27 AM, you wrote:
> >
> > SW> Hi Bill,
> >
> > SW> Thanks for the info. I checked, but there isn't any xerces jar in
> > SW> $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed... only jaxp_parser_impl.jar and
> > SW> xml-commons-apis.jar. This was just a basic RPM install of Tomcat along
> > SW> with the admin webapps. Also, the exception trace I posted _was_ from
> > SW> catalina.out, so that's as detailed as it gets.
> >
> > SW> By the way, what is this MBean server it is looking for anyways?
> >
> > SW> Thanks,
> > SW> -shawn

Felipe Schnack
Analista de Sistemas