Posted to user@kudu.apache.org by Manuel Sopena Ballesteros <ma...@garvan.org.au> on 2019/04/19 11:37:34 UTC

tablet server not using all resources availables

Dear Kudu community,

We have a test kudu cluster with 3 vms and each one of them has a master and a tablet server.

Each vm has:
x50 vcpus
500 MB RAM
4TB virtual disks with xfs on local hypervisor nvme drives

We started an ETL process using apache spark and realised that the vms are not fully utilised (~15 vcpus are used and the iowait time is 0). That tell us that kudu is not using all the resources available on the machine and the system is not fully optimised.

Question:

How could we configure the tablet server to fully utilize the resources available?
Is it a good practice to run multiple tablet server on the same vm?

thank you very much

NOTICE
Please consider the environment before printing this email. This message and any attachments are intended for the addressee named and may contain legally privileged/confidential/copyright information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read, use, disclose, copy or distribute this communication. If you have received this message in error please notify us at once by return email and then delete both messages. We accept no liability for the distribution of viruses or similar in electronic communications. This notice should not be removed.

RE: tablet server not using all resources availables

Posted by Manuel Sopena Ballesteros <ma...@garvan.org.au>.
Hi Adar,

Apologies, 500MB of RAM was a type, the real unit is 500GB of RAM

I will play with parameters maintenance_manager_num_thread and will provide feedback

Thank you very much

Manuel

Posted by Adar Lieber-Dembo <ad...@cloudera.com>.