Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/24 15:35:05 UTC

Mail command to allow marvin emails

All,

Does anyone know the mail command to send out to allow marvin emails
to get to a list without moderation?

John

Re: Mail command to allow marvin emails

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
It’s too bad that this can’t be automated when a podling is added.  I have a ticket waiting in INFRA to add a REST API to Hermes to allow such a thing.

Maybe people can up-vote it?  :)

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Are you looking for the dev-allow-subscribe command?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 26.11.2014 10:45, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> I can appreciate that these kind of shortcuts can make it efficient for an
> experienced moderator, but for incubating projects who are transitioning
> from infrastructure like Github, Google Groups and yes, even Sourceforge,
> getting used to the apache.org infrastructure is a bit of a challenge, even
> for dinosaurs like myself who used this kind of technology 15 years ago.
>
> </rant> ;)

Let me continue in the same vein by asking: do you really think we want
committers who can't figure out technology unless it's packed in a
really simple GUI with no more than a single line of text anwhere? :)

(If you're a dinosaur, would this make me a sauropsid?)

-- Brane

Re: Mail command to allow marvin emails

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <so...@cs.manchester.ac.uk>.
Has there been some consideration for apache.org to use a mailing list
system with a regular web interface instead of just magic email addresses?
We've been using Mailman at Sourceforge since 2005 or so, and this ezlm
just feels like a step backwards to the 1990s. (Our university still use
ListServ. So It could be worse! ;-) )

Just yesterday I spent 15 minutes trying to find out how to link to a
thread in the apache.org mbox mail archive. It turns out you can't, in

Don't get me started on trying to explain how to subscribe to a list with a
different  email address than Sender header leaks (e.g. if using gmail with
a secondary email address).

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26 November 2014 at 09:23, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/11/14 19:39, sebb wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> The "allow" mail address contains some hashing, so it looks like this
>>> general-allow-tc.14022574435.jniccwfloaonmjaawwpz-no-reply=apache.org@incubator.apache.org
>>
>> That is a special address for confirming an allow.
>>
>>> (I made that one up so nobody tries to allow it ;-)
>>>
>>> I guess you have to wait for the first failed, but not sure.
>>
>> No, moderators can [un]subscribe any e-mails at any time.

>> This includes subscribing an e-mail to the allow list
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> dev-allow-subscribe-user=example.com@tamaya.i.a.o
>
> Good to know, thanks sebb, and apologies to Alex who called it a couple
> of days ago!
>
> I'm not sure I understand the practical difference between "confirming
> an allow" and "subscribing the e-mail to the allow list" as they seem to
> have the same effect, i.e. why would the moderate e-mail need the
> hashed-up string, and not just use dev-allow-subscribe-user=example.com@...?

Changes to the mailing list require a confirmation.
Which will look rather like the mod e-mail.

> Back to John's original question then,
>
>> Does anyone know the mail command to send out to allow marvin emails
>> to get to a list without moderation?
>
> from what I just learnt, it would be for the moderator to send mail to
> dev-allow-subscribe-no-reply=apache.org@tamaya.i.a.o

Yes, but you then have to reply to the confirmation request.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 6:59 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> So, if in the future we wanted to do this proactively we can send
>
> dev-allow-tc-no-reply=apache.org@some.mailing.list.apache.org
>
> or does it always require the first failed message?

When I became IPMC chair, I worried a lot about automated report
reminders getting through to new podlings, to the point of checking
dev list archives and subscribing in order to send manual reminders
when the automated reminders did not arrive.

There's a better way.

When a podling fails to report, make absolutely sure they get added to
next month's queue -- and make absolutely sure that they stay in that
queue until they finally come through with a report.

This is why report_runbook.py includes tasks for setting and clearing
the "monthly" tag in podlings.xml.

Taking this approach not only addresses the problem of comatose
mailing list moderators, but a number of other more general problems
related to low activity.

Several years ago, the IPMC typically didn't take any action when
podlings failed to report, and as a result we had a number of podlings
failing to report for several quarterly cycles.  It was a mess.  We're
better now.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Mail command to allow marvin emails

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.