Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2021/03/07 06:48:56 UTC

Re: Suggestion: Discourse Forum for Freemarker?

Le 24/02/2021 à 15:57, Christoph Rüger a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to ask, what you think about having a Discourse Forum for
> Freemarker. They are offering a free version for OSS projects.
> https://blog.discourse.org/2018/11/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/
>
> I just saw it in another Open Source project I am participating (bndtools
> <https://bnd.discourse.group/>): They now have a Discourse Forum which
> replaced their Google groups Mailinglist. Since then I think
>
> I personally like discourse forums a lot and I think they have good tools
> for improved discussions (tagging, quotes, pasting screenshots). I think it
> makes the community more visible and encourages interaction.
> Not sure what the policy is about that since Freemarker is an Apache
> project.
>
> Just wanted to bring this up for discussion.
>
> Christoph

Hi Christoph,

We could rather create a #freemarker channel at the ASF. Like for instance we have https://the-asf.slack.com/archives/CD3TJJJ5B

Jacques

Re: Suggestion: Discourse Forum for Freemarker?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 18/03/2021 à 21:55, Christoph Rüger a écrit :
> On 2021/03/07 06:48:56, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
> Thanks and sorry for the late reply.
>
> Not sure personally if I like the Slack idea here. Since Slack chat is by nature supposed to be more real-time I imagine it makes sense if you have a larger community being "always online" and interaction. For freemarker I think a more asynchronous medium is better since it is currently more low-traffice. I could be wrong but I imagine it a bit more silent chat, and not sure the useful content would be available for the public.
>
> The advantage of a forum like Discourse is the asynchronous nature and the easier accessibility (public forum = indexed in google). I know the archive https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@freemarker.apache.org is also index in google...., but....wait a minute.... speaking of the archive I just realized that it is possible to register online in the archive and even reply from online directly on the website - what I am doing right now :)
>
> So maybe this serves a similar purpose as I had in mind with discourse forum. Discourse is a bit more feature rich with quoting, tagging, etc. but that's not too important.
>
> I think I will try it out that way and I am fine :) Forget my initial suggestion.
> Have a nice evening.

Yes, as we use to say in Apache: "if it's not in the ML it does not exist at all". That's what I believe too ;)

Have a good weekend

Jacques

Re: Suggestion: Discourse Forum for Freemarker?

Posted by Christoph R��ger <c....@synesty.com>.