Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2012/09/18 02:00:18 UTC

Name appropriateness search

I've been searching for instances of the name 'Allura' in the wild, and the only thing even vaguely technology related that I've found is that there's a free font called Allura, and a medical XRay system from the Philips corporation.

I'm not able to find any reason that we'd be unable to use the name.

Ross, Greg or Jim, what is the sign-off procedure on this? Is there a more "legal" way to conduct a search of this nature than exhaustive Google searches?

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: Name appropriateness search

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sep 18, 2012, at 9:13 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> These are patents that contain 'Allura'
>
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=Allura&FIELD1=&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=PTXT
>
> It appears that Allura is the name of a color of red, so it shows up a lot for that.
>
> I found 43 trademarks on 'Allura' - http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4006%3A28k5tu.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=Allura&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query - and I'm working through them.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4006:28k5tu.2.31 - Abandoned - Computer training. Vaguely related, but abandoned. I don't know what "Abandoned" means. Can someone thats done this before give me some insight?

Other than that, there's a lot of clothing and medical stuff, but nothing in the space of software or computers.

I'd like to declare this task complete.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

Re: Name appropriateness search

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 10/2/12 12:15 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2012, at 4:00 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>

>> On Sep 18, 2012, at 3:34 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>
>>> Here's ours: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-15
>>>

>> Ok, I believe I've done the necessary searches here. Can someone take a look through it, and perhaps if you've been through this process before critique what I've done.
>
> Ping?
>
> Anyone know what I need to do next here?

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201210.mbox/%3CDC8AE0D2-AEC2-4B99-9081-EF6093CCB4D7@gmail.com%3E
and the followup on that thread seem relevant.  We could do the same thing

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Name appropriateness search

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sep 18, 2012, at 9:24 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:

> There are some JIRA tickets that other podlings have used, that seem to follow a
> template.  They seem to be mostly web, patent, trademark, etc searches.  I don't
> know if we have to use a PODLINGNAMESEARCH ticket, but it seems like a good
> precedent.  Examples:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+PODLINGNAMESEARCH+AND+status+%3D+Closed+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC

Gah! I'm sorry, you pointed me to that before.

I'll follow that template.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com :: @rbowen

Re: Name appropriateness search

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
There are some JIRA tickets that other podlings have used, that seem to follow a
template.  They seem to be mostly web, patent, trademark, etc searches.  I don't
know if we have to use a PODLINGNAMESEARCH ticket, but it seems like a good
precedent.  Examples:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+PODLINGNAMESEARCH+AND+status+%3D+Closed+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC

-Dave

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.