Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mosenior Moses <mo...@tvcnet.com> on 2005/07/18 08:27:34 UTC

SA Headers not on Ham

Hello,

 We are running spamassassin with qmail/procmail. Spamassassin Version 3.0.1 on Fedora Core 2.
The problem that I'm seeing is that Ham messages are coming through with out having the SA headers
being added to them. What's interesting is that messages are being filtered even still, as we have a spam mailbox
and I can see recently filtered spam in it. I've done quite a bit of searching around (google of course) and haven't been able
to determine where the failure is occuring. Is there a configuration I might be missing somewhere?

Thanks,
Mosenior Moses
'Mo'

Re: SA Headers not on Ham

Posted by Mosenior Moses <mo...@tvcnet.com>.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:25:38 -0400
Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com> wrote:

> Loren Wilton wrote:
> > Is the mail being filtered correctly, and you are seeing SA headers on spam,
> > but not on ham?  Or do you also have reason to believe that the mail isn't
> > being filtered correctly?
> >
> > Some glue agents do their own version of SA headers, and may not feel the
> > need to install headers on ham.  Qmail may be one of the things that does
> > this, I don't know.  But I suspect this is what you are seeing.
>

> Agreed, SpamAssassin will always add at least one header to every email
> (X-Spam-Checker-Version).
>
> You have to edit the code directly to prevent it from adding that header,
> there's no config option to prevent it (even clear_headers won't remove it).
>
> So it's almost certainly some kind of glue script that is deciding to use the
> original email if SA doesn't tag it as spam. I've seen several glue scripts that
> do this, some do it intentionally and some do it by accident due to return codes
> causing the MTA to recover it.

Excellent,

 Thanks a lot, I'll look into this.

Mosenior Moses