Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by jitender ahuja <aj...@aalayance.com> on 2004/05/15 13:00:11 UTC

"UnStored" vs "Reader"

Hi all,
        Is there a basic difference between the "UnStored" and the "Reader" field types?
Regards,
Jitender

Re: "UnStored" vs "Reader"

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
jitender ahuja wrote:
>       If there is no difference then is there an underlying basic difference
> or just a simple redundancy (both types performing the same job) is there? I
> feel that it cann't be a simple redundancy.

For unstored fields, Lucene only requires sequential access to the
characters.  A Reader permits data to be streamed into the index: the
entire text need never be held in memory at once.  For application
convenience and consistency with stored fields, one can also provide
strings for unstored field values.

Doug

Re: "UnStored" vs "Reader"

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Actually, I had never thought about this particular question before, but I
think the question is a fair and reasonable - no reason to get frustrated
about it.  There's a lot about Lucene that's obvious to those who've studied
it as extensively as has Erik (and I, like much of us, are anxiously
awaiting his book).  But there're also plenty of folks (myself included) who
are pretty familiar with Lucene but still find some of the many potentially
interesting features still a bit mysterious.

Regards,

Terry

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: "UnStored" vs "Reader"