Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Eldred Mullany <el...@easypay.co.za> on 2009/12/02 14:01:52 UTC

Building a navigation links (bread crumb concept) based on dependent down selects (array list built in session)

Hi Everyone

I need to build a list of navigational links (bread crumb concept) each
time a user selects a value from a drop down list,

I have managed to create a custom event handler that will repopulate my
same select component with new values based on the previous values and
update a zone at the same time.

My custom event handler for my select component simply returns a new
values based on the parameter input like so:

String[] onProvideValues(String input) {

        if ((input == null) || (input.trim().length() == 0)) {

            return new String[] { "Select one..." };

        }

String[] bins = getBinsForInsurer((InsuranceCompany)
this.encoder.toValue(input));

     return bins;

    }

I also have another method that is fired that calls onDropDown() to
update the zone after my select component is re-populated with new
values.

Object onDropDown() {

return this.zone.getBody();

}

The method that is called when zone is updated is

Public List methodCalledFromZone() {

List<String> string = new ArrayList<String>();

List<String> list[] =
requestGlobals.getHTTPServletRequest().getAttibute("selectComponent");
        if (list != null)
               for (int i = 0; i < list.length; i++)
                       string.add(list [i]);
       return list;

}

This won't work of course because I am not getting the value back from
the getAttibute() method and I cannot build onto my arraylist the new
value because its not kept in the session ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks Eldred